Sign in to follow this  
Sean D

Trans Am superlite 17x8 wheels -opinions?

What do you all think about these trans am engineering superlite 17x8 wheels on a 69 Mach 1? Go with 255/45zr17 on rear, and 245/45zr17 on front. I know you can fit wider in back but at 10 inch section width the 255 is only 0.9 inch less wide than 275 at 10.9 section width. I like how the spokes have more curve out towards the outer edge more than most other makes (which tend to have straighter spokes). Not planning to race the car, but want more tread on the ground for better handling than my magnum 500 15x7. Aslo looking for the trans am look. Naturally I think they would look great but would like everyones honest opinions?

17x8-left-side.jpg

I love the mini lite styled rims. They will look fantastic and will add that T/A theme you are after. I will do a build with that style one day. I like the shape of the spokes, adds a little flair to a timely design. This is an example that I look at often as a clean look. Modern sized wheels that don't look so modern.

mach%201%20minilites_zpsxmiaiux2.png 

Dang Mike, you beat me to it! I couldn't agree more. The only issue with larger wheels that are cast is if you don't have enough side wall on the tires, you have a greater chance of bending the wheel. I would think the 45 and 55 series you picked are enough tire to not worry. The 112mm backspace should work fine on your front end.

17 minutes ago, latoracing said:

I love the mini lite styled rims. They will look fantastic and will add that T/A theme you are after. I will do a build with that style one day. I like the shape of the spokes, adds a little flair to a timely design. This is an example that I look at often as a clean look. Modern sized wheels that don't look so modern.

mach%201%20minilites_zpsxmiaiux2.png 

Excellent! I saw this picture and some others when doing research. I am really surprised that I  could not find more pictures online to be honest. I did consider the make of the ones you shared, but i kind of like the ones in the top picture more as they have a bit more curve on spokes. Thoughts on the 255 Tires? Enough meet for good performance?

Those are beautiful on the right car 

you said you want the trans am look, that will do it. However you will also need to lower the car a proper amount to make it look right with the wheels and for the trans am look

bob

1 hour ago, Rsanter said:

Those are beautiful on the right car 

you said you want the trans am look, that will do it. However you will also need to lower the car a proper amount to make it look right with the wheels and for the trans am look

bob

Excellent point. Just completed an aod swap and rebuilt rear end. Plan to go with Street or Track coil over front and back, which should do the trick.  All good opinions so far...! 

15 hours ago, Sean D said:

Excellent! I saw this picture and some others when doing research. I am really surprised that I  could not find more pictures online to be honest. I did consider the make of the ones you shared, but i kind of like the ones in the top picture more as they have a bit more curve on spokes. Thoughts on the 255 Tires? Enough meet for good performance?

I think he went with Team III wheels. I actually called the guy to make me a custom set but it he didn't want to build them "my way". The website has a list of sizes and offsets and should be easy to order from. I like the wheel you selected better than the Team III personally. 

Here is a link to some vintage T/A cars that might give you some ideas. http://www.ponysite.de/transam_news0.htm A guy on VMF linked it a few weeks back. I am attempting my own T/A themed build with a Pro Touring twist, complete with the 1" nose drop, side exhaust and a bunch of other inspired bits. I can highly recommend the SoT suspension route (haven't driven it yet lol), you will not be disappointed.

Update. I ended up going with PS Engineering wheels. 17x8 4.5" backspace with 245/45 On front and 17x9 5.25 backspace with 255/45 On rear. Was a bit worried about clearance on rear with 275/40, but will get them once these wear out. What do you all think? 17s do not look like to much rim on these classic muscle cars?

20170623_165212.jpg