lalojamesliz

Differences in oil pans?

Both my brother and I have a 7 qt Milodon pan on our strokers without any interference. Mine is 393ci with 3.85 stroke, and his is 422ci with, um...more stroke than mine. I agree with checking with the pan maker, or maybe the engine builder.

On 5/31/2017 at 5:57 PM, mustangmike6996 said:

With any new oil pan/pump/pickup I always like to check the clearance.  Too close and it can starve due to pickup pulling to the pan, too far and it can cavitate /starve

Is the clearance usually adjustable?

On 5/31/2017 at 6:41 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

I'd look at Canton oil pans.  They are one of the better quality oil pans that are available most anywhere.  Call them to verify for your application.

Ill check them out, thanks for the advice.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/canton-oil-pan-kit-front-sump-t-pan-351w-1965-1973/p/OPK2/

On 5/31/2017 at 8:09 PM, RPM said:

Both my brother and I have a 7 qt Milodon pan on our strokers without any interference. Mine is 393ci with 3.85 stroke, and his is 422ci with, um...more stroke than mine. I agree with checking with the pan maker, or maybe the engine builder.

When i asked the guys at the shop for some things they weren't very helpful and asked if they were designing the engine. Not what I expected from a shop that I'm dropping a little over $4k at but that was when I only hired them for the machine work/assembly

Now that I'm spending more, maybe they can GIVE me some advice

I'd still look for a 7 qt. (6 qt. pan + 1 qt. in the filter) T-sump pan.  At the very least, in theory, the oil will run a little cooler and last longer.  If you can invision with more oil in the system, a single mass of oil will sit in the pan longer before it gets circulated through the motor.  Thus, have a little more time to cool.  I first heard this from a Ford Racing Tech when I was deciding on what oil pan to use.  It made sense.

seems like some good insurance to have another quart or two and some baffling in the pan when spending a little longer at higher RPM running down the track (where the oil gets pumped up to the top) or launching hard (where the oil will try to rush towards the back).

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:34 AM, lalojamesliz said:

It isn't "adjustable" exactly but you can shim the pickup tube to be lower into the pan if you get a deeper sump pan.  Some pans will recommend a special pickup designed for that pan.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, lalojamesliz said:

As far as I know, no.  The pick-up tube attaches to the side of the oil pump.  So, height is not adjustable.  When you buy an aftermarket oil pan, also get the pick-up they recommend.