Sign in to follow this  
lalojamesliz

Distributor build question

I found this guy http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

He can rebuild and set up my stock 69 distributor that I took out of the 69 cougar I had with a msd trigger so I can use it with my msd digital 6al box.

He gave me a picture with duraspark distributors to get for this conversion. But when I told him I have this one he just told me to make sure it fits in the block so I don't waste money but since my block is with the builder a hour away I can't just check. 

Does it matter if the distributor is a 2v or 4v or are the bodies the same?

I don't remember if the 351w in the 69 cougar I had was a 2v or 4v

If I can save a little on something like this without installing some cheap parts then I'd like to do it. 

I keep reading bad stuff about msd distributors online. 

The guy that does these distributors also told me the blaster 2 coil I bought can be a hit or miss since its made in China and they have 3 plants...... a good, a bad and a horrible production plant for these coils

is the bushing in your stock distributor bad?

you should be able to use a pertronix unit with your msd box but call msd and pertronix to ask if the pertronix igniter is compatible with your exact box.

heres how to wire it.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/#a6

you can also get some nice plug connectors from midlife if you need.

the msd anti vibration coil is the best budget coil made and is fine.

do not use the vacuum can on your distributor unless you set it for just 4 to 6 degrees of max advance and use the ported vacuum port.

you will likely need the mr gasket 925D distributor spring kit . summit racing sells them . you will only be replacing one of the springs in your distributor.