Machspeed

Windshield Removal Tool

Got all the stainless trim off last weekend and removed the rear window last night. Rear window was a cake walk, as I merely cut around the gasket and pushed it out from the inside. Don't think the windshield is going to go as smooth and I really want to save it. I see a few tools out there, one of which is from Harbor Freight. Can anyone advise on any of these tools?  Thanks!   

I used the cutter with a cable and handle to pull. I broke the damn windshield as soon as I moved it. Guess I didn't know how to use it, but it did happened fast. 

Be careful and take you time with whatever you use. 

Yeah, I have a feeling this may not go as I hope for. Already have a chip in the glass from trim removal. Fortunately, the trim will cover it. What did you fellas go back with for replacement glass?  

You should be able to get the tool at any automotive paint supply ,but if the glass is glued in with uratane it will not be easy what ever you use ,especially if the glass was set to close to thae channel and there is not enough room to get between the channel and the glass 

I removed my windscreen about 4 weeks ago. I was nervous about chipping the glass so used whipper snipper plastic cable and two small pieces of dowel so it helped save my hands. This worked a treat and did not hurt the paint or glass.

A word of advice. The black crap gets everywhere. I wore disposable gloves but should have worn disposable clothes. Once on my cloths it got on the leather couch and inside my shoes. I was not popular.

Wow....little encouragement for a hopeful windshield removal for me. Not to mention the aftermath.....lol! Think I'll try the trimmer line approach.

Something I noticed when I was removing the rear window trim is that WD-40 seemed to break down that sealer. I couldn't get my trim off and was thinking the issue was the clips when in fact it was more of an issue with the sealer adhering to the trim. I sprayed WD-40 under the trim to better aid in sliding my tool to access the clips and noted my trim beginning to lift much easier. Will be trying the WD-40 on that windshield. Thx fellas!!!

On 5/26/2017 at 10:01 AM, Machspeed said:

What did you fellas go back with for replacement glass?  

I used this one from NPD. "Mustang WINDSHIELD, TINTED, CARLITE, HAS 70 FLAT MIRROR BRACKET, CONCOURS REQD CARLITE LOGO"

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_windshield_tinted_carlite-100225-498.html

My 69 CJ had a brand new wind shield in it but the shop or who ever did it pressed the glass to deep into the glue and there was no way to get between the glass and the channel ,made me sick to have to bust it out ...and new carlite window of course . Even breaking it up i had a hard time removing it