17 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Coming along well, don't rush it and remember patience is a virtue.Quoting my late Mother.

Just picture how great the car is going to look.

I know, it just appears like in the last 3 weeks he's done about 2 days worth of work.

OK here's the truth, the car should have been stripped to bare metal in one go and then epoxy primed to seal it from moisture. After this you should work on one panel at a time, do the bondo and then more epoxy on the same day, again to protect it from moisture. After you get all the panels repaired, prime the whole car then block it until straight and paint the car. This guy looks like a shonky back yard operator that has no clue what he is doing, I would get the car back immediately and take it to a real painter who knows what he is doing. Sorry for the brutal assessment but you will not get the result you are hoping for from this guy.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:06 AM, JET 445 said:

OK here's the truth, the car should have been stripped to bare metal in one go and then epoxy primed to seal it from moisture. After this you should work on one panel at a time, do the bondo and then more epoxy on the same day, again to protect it from moisture. After you get all the panels repaired, prime the whole car then block it until straight and paint the car. This guy looks like a shonky back yard operator that has no clue what he is doing, I would get the car back immediately and take it to a real painter who knows what he is doing. Sorry for the brutal assessment but you will not get the result you are hoping for from this guy.

I appreciate your candor. That's what I thought too, but I'm not the paint expert. I just seems like he's making it harder than it needs to be, or maybe more work in the long run.

The problem for me is to find a good painter. 85% of them only do insurance work. The other 15% is made up of small shop painters, 1 year paint jobs businesses (which includes painting anything still connected to the car), frame-off restorers (mine isn't a low number, big block, fastback) or Gas Monkey Garage wannabes. I want to be driving the car (and show the wife were all the money is going) this year - soon.

I have to rely on the fact that he comes recommended, I've seen his work (even cars painted years ago that still look great), and the price is reasonable for the work so far.

Since the outside of the car is moving at the pace of molasses in a freezer, I had a little time this weekend to work on working on sound deadening the rear panels. Used some rust remover to get the surface rust off, then cleaned it with alcohol. I could already tell a difference in the way the metal sounded when I placed it on the floor. I will be adding lightweight insulation next to block heat and noise. I'm not planning on covering every interior surface with this, but "strategic strips" where needed.

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg