OK here's the truth, the car should have been stripped to bare metal in one go and then epoxy primed to seal it from moisture. After this you should work on one panel at a time, do the bondo and then more epoxy on the same day, again to protect it from moisture. After you get all the panels repaired, prime the whole car then block it until straight and paint the car. This guy looks like a shonky back yard operator that has no clue what he is doing, I would get the car back immediately and take it to a real painter who knows what he is doing. Sorry for the brutal assessment but you will not get the result you are hoping for from this guy.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:06 AM, JET 445 said:

OK here's the truth, the car should have been stripped to bare metal in one go and then epoxy primed to seal it from moisture. After this you should work on one panel at a time, do the bondo and then more epoxy on the same day, again to protect it from moisture. After you get all the panels repaired, prime the whole car then block it until straight and paint the car. This guy looks like a shonky back yard operator that has no clue what he is doing, I would get the car back immediately and take it to a real painter who knows what he is doing. Sorry for the brutal assessment but you will not get the result you are hoping for from this guy.

I appreciate your candor. That's what I thought too, but I'm not the paint expert. I just seems like he's making it harder than it needs to be, or maybe more work in the long run.

The problem for me is to find a good painter. 85% of them only do insurance work. The other 15% is made up of small shop painters, 1 year paint jobs businesses (which includes painting anything still connected to the car), frame-off restorers (mine isn't a low number, big block, fastback) or Gas Monkey Garage wannabes. I want to be driving the car (and show the wife were all the money is going) this year - soon.

I have to rely on the fact that he comes recommended, I've seen his work (even cars painted years ago that still look great), and the price is reasonable for the work so far.

Since the outside of the car is moving at the pace of molasses in a freezer, I had a little time this weekend to work on working on sound deadening the rear panels. Used some rust remover to get the surface rust off, then cleaned it with alcohol. I could already tell a difference in the way the metal sounded when I placed it on the floor. I will be adding lightweight insulation next to block heat and noise. I'm not planning on covering every interior surface with this, but "strategic strips" where needed.

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

I realized that I hadn't rebuilt the taillights and didn't want them installing dingy old stuff if I was planning on replacing or fixing them up. Well during some part of their lives, some owner thought it would be a good idea to epoxy (or some other glue) a couple of the bezels. But they couldn't be bothered to take them off so the glue would dry properly. needless to say I would be keeping these. I have decided to update to LED versions which should arrive today. I have sanded/painted the housings, polished the bezels and have the new weather stripping ready to go. I should have them buttoned up this weekend.

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

So we are getting closer to the 6 month mark (second week of June) and some photos showed up. We are now in the first stage of primer. Side scoop and hood scoop should be done tomorrow (?) When it gets to final primer is anyone's guess....

If you can't tell I'm just so over the lack of less than 1 hour's worth of work a week.

IMG_5518.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

On 5/11/2018 at 10:41 AM, Johns Summer of 69 said:

After installing an overflow can on my other project, I got these buttoned up. Can't wait to get them working on the car!

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

I've always like the look of the 69 tail lights over the 70. Nice looking lights.

22 minutes ago, Johns Summer of 69 said:

So we are getting closer to the 6 month mark (second week of June) and some photos showed up. We are now in the first stage of primer. Side scoop and hood scoop should be done tomorrow (?) When it gets to final primer is anyone's guess....

If you can't tell I'm just so over the lack of less than 1 hour's worth of work a week.

I totally understand, had to constantly be on the guys when I had my car in a shop and I was paying them to do the work. Hope you have better luck than I did. Progress is progress though!

Few pics of the final blocking. Should be in final primer today (fingers crossed) then onto paint. I told him on Friday I have to have this in 2 weeks, because I will no longer have a car to use. I have been using my daughter's car. She will be needing it everyday by the end of the month. Even then, I still have to do all the interior by myself.

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg