So the back story to this car is that I owned it 17+ years ago, but decided to give it up because my responsibilities changed and it wasn't practical at the time for my family (new father). Up until this point all the cars I owned were old and daily drivers AND I didn't have the money to get them into the shape I wanted. I had gotten into a fender-bender with the Mustang on the passenger's side and didn't have the resources to fix it. So I let it go to a father/son who were going to fix it up and restore it to former glory for the son.

Well that didn't happen and it sat outside for 7-8 years and things didn't improve. So I knew the older brother who then bought into it (half) with the intention of fixing it up slowly. He had his father-in-law do some of the work (fender, radiator support), but it everything came to a grinding halt when he suddenly pasted away. So it sat for a few years in the garage gathering dust and scratches. He then wanted to make the push to move forward and hired a custom shop to start work on it with brake, wheels and tires. All this time I kept tabs on it with the offer "let me know if you ever want to sell it."

So I get the call at the first of the year. Basically he's not going to finish it and needs to sell it. WOW! The opportunity to "fix" regrets doesn't come by very often, so I talked with the wife and she said go for it.

So that's the first part. Now I'm starting the journey for completion. I'll be posting up pictures and I move along and will catch up with the previous work and try to give a detailed list of what I have done and plan to do for those interested.

Congratulations on getting your Mustang back. Finding a car you once owned years ago and actually being able to get it back is a big deal that doesn't happen often. I will look forward to following your restoration of it. Would like to hear more about the Mustang as well.

It took more than 30 years for me to get back my original '69 Mustang GT so I can really relate to your excitement.

My plan is to complete as much of the work as possible by myself with the except of major work: paint and body/etc.

Plans for the build include:

Engine bay: new cooling system, EFI, updated wiring, valve covers, air cleaner, coil, overflow can, Monte Carlo bar.

Paint and body: fix all rust, replace, trunk lid, hood, hood scoop, side scoops, dechrome, racing mirrors, weatherstripping, maybe new color.

Lighting: all LED with updated wiring to handle it.

Interior: carpet, seats, panels, headliner (Mustangs to Fear?), delay wipers, steering wheel, shifter

Tranmission: AOD

rear axle: 3:50 gears

AND whatever else is left...

This was over a couple of weekends. I purchased all that was needed to rebuild the front-end only to realize that I didn't need to install everything if I was going to get the car painted. So I stopped at this point. I then elected to rebuild the front turn-signals instead of purchasing new ones. Then I rebuilt the shifter with new bushings, hardware and new chrome pieces.

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

Welcome to the forum. You a lucky dog! Seller's remorse is quite popular. Remember now, don't throw away any oe parts as somebody somewhere will want them. I'm pretty good with license plates, except yours. Beautiful area there in SC.

So the last 2 weekends have been some pluses and minuses. I have been trying to diagnose the problem of the brake lights not working. The previous owner had a "custom" shop do the updates to the brakes and wheels. They did some "custom" work alright. They used some sort of new brake arm which had a modern brake light switch, which of course wouldn't work, so they drilled out the old switch to fit the new brake arm - which of course isn't going to work. So I replaced that and in doing so noticed a wire had shorted out that they just tied out of the way, or they caused the problem and moved it. Well after the new switch didn't fix it, I moved onto the headlight switch and found this...ugh. So now my new plan will be to rewire the car and in doing so, get the brake lights working as well.

IMG_3296.jpg

So the pluses are that I worked on re-gluing the driver's window and working on the mechanism. Got the Monte Carlo bar installed and a few radiator overflow can. They finally replaced the turn signal arm and upgraded to the new steering wheel. WOW, what a difference from stock.

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

So the electrical rewire took WAY longer than expected. And that has blown up my timeline in getting things checked off the list. Fortunately I had some progress this weekend. New exhaust system and started on replacing the bulbs with LED versions. The previous I got the driver's window installed.

I'm super pleased with the exhaust. The shop I used was great to work with my needs and wants and there attention to detail was superior.

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3507.m4v

So I went to a restoration shop to get a quote on getting the bodywork and paint completed. They had some beautiful cars  and their process is great, but I can't justify spending 30k on this car for paint and body. They take it down to the bare metal and repair anything needed and seal it better than factory with a gorgeous paint job. But still in the end the car isn't worth the work they would do. So I'm off to another shop that hopefully will be within my price range.

Cutting out/rust repair in the door corners,  and front and back corners of the rear wheels, a fix a couple of dents, replace the trunk and hood/hinge, replace the driver's side door hinges, replace front floor pans, install new rear window and gasket, and install AC. $2100-2300.00 for labor not including parts.

A lot of boxes have been coming in the past 2 weeks as I wait for the shop to get back from their vacation. Front floor pans, VintageAir AC, new dash, mach 1 hood scoop, Holley Sniper EFI with new tank, rear glass and other various parts for the work ahead. This weekend will be removing most of the interior for him to get to the work needed and for me to save some money.