Sign in to follow this  
maleah

New heads suggestions.

MY current set up is a 351w, with 302 heads (my only guess is the engine builder figured more compression with the 302 heads?).  I have a Weiand stealth intake, a summit racing 600 carb and a cam that is a little more aggresive than stock. I still have the stock exhaust manifolds as well.  I am thinking of getting a new pair of heads.  Any suggestions on which brand, what specs, and where can I buy?  Thanks!

14 hours ago, barnett468 said:

I wouldn't get new heads unless you get headers unless you just want some nice aluminum to look at.

Trick flow or Eddy E steeet heads are the best bang for your buck.

The first heads I looked at were the edelbrock street heads. Lots of people began to tell me the valvetrain included in the complete heads was no good for performance and your better off buying bare heads and getting your own springs and stuff

I'm just sharing what I know/have been told.

9 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

The first heads I looked at were the edelbrock street heads. Lots of people began to tell me the valvetrain included in the complete heads was no good for performance and your better off buying bare heads and getting your own springs and stuff

I'm just sharing what I know/have been told.

it depends what you mean by "performance" . the valves are from the same mfg they use on the rpm heads but the non roller springs are limited in that you should not run a big/high lift cam (i think .550 lift is the max threshold) or rev it past around 5500 rpm . if you want a high lift cam and/or want to rev it more than that then i would get better springs . you can not use non roller springs with a roller cam.

the e street heads are also the same exact casting as the rpm heads except with smaller ports and smaller valves.

So it's really only the springs that are crapola then huh? Well, not performance rated.....

I just ordered new springs for my afr 205 heads since they came with solid roller springs that are too strong for the hydraulic roller cam I ordered.  

They weren't cheap since I needed seats, retainers and whatever else needed but it has to be less $$$ for the E street heads

4 hours ago, lalojamesliz said:

So it's really only the springs that are crapola then huh? Well, not performance rated.....

I just ordered new springs for my afr 205 heads since they came with solid roller springs that are too strong for the hydraulic roller cam I ordered.  

They weren't cheap since I needed seats, retainers and whatever else needed but it has to be less $$$ for the E street heads

the non roller springs ARE "performance springs . they are just not for fairly high performance . i have seen people disregard what eddy says about cams for the e street heads and they put one that is too big and the springs break or the valves float then they say the e street heads are crap when really its their brains that are crap for not following eddys guidelines.

5 hours ago, barnett468 said:

i have seen people disregard what eddy says about cams for the e street heads and they put one that is too big and the springs break or the valves float then they say the e street heads are crap when really its their brains that are crap for not following eddys guidelines.

That's problably the people ive been thinking about when I think bad about these heads......