timsmustang

DIY Home Alignment

Home alignment is not rocket science, and I've done it several times with excellent success.  I've always taken it to an old timer's shop, and he's been impressed with my results, just tweaking things ever so slightly.  There's a number of tools out there that will do the job; this is the one I use.

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RPWCasterCamberGauge9500/Caster_Camber_Gauges

The one trick I read about on the 'Net was to use large plastic trash bags, folded in half, under the front tires so that they can easily be turned without friction, which would alter the readings.

Excellent choice in deciding to diy. You currently probably know more about 69 steering/suspension and alignment than the average guy at an alignment shop. I too do my own alignment with simple tools. I like and have one similar to the one Randy or Richard posted above, but did my last alignment with a 6" digital level.

Huskinhano has a few posts on VMF and Mustang Steve .com, look him up. He started out like you with limited knowledge of alignments, and everything I've read by him is right on. Here's one thread by him:

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7714

I figure if I can learn to do it, anyone can. As they say in Vegas, good luck! 

14 hours ago, timsmustang said:

I'm considering purchasing my own front end alignment system. There are several manufacturers out there...what are you guys (or gals) using?  Looking for feedback and/or recommendations.

You asked, it's cheap, but this is what I do.  A tape measure, large carpenter square, level concrete floor, and some math with a simple trig formula, tangent = opposite/adjacent.  I can only set the toe, center the steering wheel, and check camber with these items.  After that, if it drives good and goes straight I don't worry about the caster.  Eventually, I'll get some type of DIY alignment tools.

Since, like most of us you probably don't have any turn plates to set the front wheels on, fold up several layers of plastic and put it under the front tires.

I agree with RPM about alignment shops wouldn't know much about these older cars.

8 hours ago, Midlife said:

The one trick I read about on the 'Net was to use large plastic trash bags, folded in half, under the front tires so that they can easily be turned without friction, which would alter the readings.

Good idea...hadn't heard that one.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Excellent choice in deciding to diy. You currently probably know more about 69 steering/suspension and alignment than the average guy at an alignment shop.

Well, that's my thought.  I live remotely in Vermont and I've only found one shop that 'maybe' has a guy who worked on the 'old stuff'.  I figure there's a good chance that the alignment may be off by the time I get home even if it's done right.  The roads here are terrible.

My car hasn't been on the road since about '75 and I bought it disassembled.  I have installed all the original style suspension and I know it's pretty close.  I figure by the time I rent a trailer and pay the alignment fee, I would be half way to paying for my own system!

Seriously, with no ill will intended, Google is your friend. I start by centering the steering box. Pretty simple, rotate steering wheel fully one way, count the revolutions to full stop there other way, then go back half way. After that I do them in alphabetical order, camber, caster then toe. As I have done the Shelby/Arning 1" upper control arm drop, I'm not sure of the specs I'd advise for a stock suspension.

This easy to read article came up when I googled camber caster or toe first:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0910-diy-alignment-guide/

Again, please search and read Huskinhano's alignment threads.

Okay, reprimand accepted.  I'd just rather get my information from the Mustang forums... it's much more personal and first hand than Google articles.

Thanks for the order, camber, caster, toe.

I'm using Daze's specs by the way...

43 minutes ago, timsmustang said:

Okay, reprimand accepted.  

Nooo....it was never a reprimand. I get better and more results when I Google search, 69stang.com or whatever website along with the topic, such as alignment specs. It'll bring up many threads from that forum, whereas searching using the search in the forum search window rarely finds any results.

Daze knows his stuff.

6 hours ago, timsmustang said:

So, does anyone know the order of the process?  Toe, caster, camber?

When I was younger and worked as a GM tech, we would take preliminary readings, then set caster, camber, and toe along with centering the steering wheel.

For DIY, you will probably have to make some final adjustments to center the steering wheel after you test drive the car.  It's simple, during the test drive, when going straight:

1)  If the steering wheel dips to the right, adjust the tie rods to steer the wheels to the right. 

2)  If the steering wheel dips to the left, adjust the tie rods to steer the wheels to the left.

Make equal tie rod adjustments on each side, usually 1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time.