If you are now looking at complete crate engines, look to see what Ford Racing offers.  Summit Racing sells their stuff and ships international.

Glad to see you are looking at 351W motors rather than a stroked 302.  They behave completely different.  The 351W makes much more low and mid range power than a 302.  For reliability and better driving manners your always better off with a larger displacement mild built motor than a smaller displacement more radical built motor.

I've talked to Tri Star, CMEngines and ATK. They all use a seasoned block that is fully remanufactured. I'm awaiting on the shipping quotes from Tri Star and CMEngines. 

I did find another 351w engine in Germany that would save me a lot of money shipping-wise:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/351W-V8-5-8L-Ford-Small-Block-V8-Stage-2-Performernocke-Mustang-Pick-Up-Cougar-/302302850760?hash=item4662a76ec8:g:ONMAAOSwIgNXsYRZ

Hmm... 

12 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

Barnett468 - why the negative remarks for Tristar?  You are not getting a new block from anyone for less than $4K. Do you think all the engines listed above come with a new block??

i know you don't get a new block with a $2200.00 engine because I am an engine builder and because I am an engine builder I an very familiar with how mass rebuilders operate, and if they do not list EXACTLY what machine work they do and the EXACT brand and model of part they install, it is reasonable to speculate that the parts they use are the cheapest, poorest quality they can possibly dredge up, therefore, it is important to get this info before making a decision.

8 hours ago, barnett468 said:

i know you don't get a new block with a $2200.00 engine because I am an engine builder and because I am an engine builder I an very familiar with how mass rebuilders operate, and if they do not list EXACTLY what machine work they do and the EXACT brand and model of part they install, it is reasonable to speculate that the parts they use are the cheapest, poorest quality they can possibly dredge up, therefore, it is important to get this info before making a decision.

The company provides the parts list in the details section of options. Scat Crank, Keith Black pistons, Howards Cam, Melling oil pump, Dart Pro 1 heads, etc......plus a 24 month warranty & A+ BBB rating.

So I've read about and talked to most of the various engines and builders on this post, and I've now ordered a complete 351W (385hp) Dyno'd engine from ATK through Summit. Comparing all the parts and reputation it seems like the best deal to me.

Tristar doesn't use Dart 1 heads, but Pro Comp casting that they get bare and then do their own machine work on. Their cam is more aggressive but get's about the same torque (actually a little less) than ATK who uses Dart 1 heads and a milder cam. Overall I think the ATK engine has better parts and paying around $600 more for them seems like is what I'm gonna be happiest with in the long run.

2 hours ago, Kaspar said:

So I've read about and talked to most of the various engines and builders on this post, and I've now ordered a complete 351W (385hp) Dyno'd engine from ATK through Summit. Comparing all the parts and reputation it seems like the best deal to me.

Tristar doesn't use Dart 1 heads, but Pro Comp casting that they get bare and then do their own machine work on. Their cam is more aggressive but get's about the same torque (actually a little less) than ATK who uses Dart 1 heads and a milder cam. Overall I think the ATK engine has better parts and paying around $600 more for them seems like is what I'm gonna be happiest with in the long run.

Kasper, my bad, I didn't realize you are doing the 351W. I just bought the 408 stroker from Tristar, that engine comes with the Dart Pro 1 heads.

Hey guys.

I ended up buying the ATK 351w with 385hp:

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/ford-351w-complete-engine-385hp-p/hp11c.htm

The best choice. It came perfectly assembled and a great fit. Only had to change the headers and mounting brackets for the power steering and generator. The dyno sheets from ATK that they did actually says it performs 395hp and 430 torque. It's really great. Much better idle than my 302 with the Edelbrock RPM Performer Top End kit I had installed before.

Thanks for all your inputs.

8 hours ago, Kaspar said:

Hey guys.

I ended up buying the ATK 351w with 385hp:

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/ford-351w-complete-engine-385hp-p/hp11c.htm

The best choice. It came perfectly assembled and a great fit. Only had to change the headers and mounting brackets for the power steering and generator. The dyno sheets from ATK that they did actually says it performs 395hp and 430 torque. It's really great. Much better idle than my 302 with the Edelbrock RPM Performer Top End kit I had installed before.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Congrats.  Good Choice.  If I had to do it over again I would have bought the ATK over the Ford Performance.  Let us know how it is after you put some miles in.