1969_Mach1

Toploader Trans - Pastic Thrust Washers?

Assembling my trans and need to decide to use the plastic thrust washers for the counter shaft gears or reuse the bronze thrust washers.  The bronze thrust washers look good and measure only 0.002" thinner than the new plastic thrust washers.

Question:  Are the plastic thrust washers better and that's why they are now being used?  Or, are the plastic thrust washers now being used because they found a way to save a few cents?

By the way, It's a David Kee rebuild kit.

From my research it seems all rebuild kits contain plastic thrust washers regardless of where you buy them.  Apparently it's been that way for a long time.  At least 10 years.  I've read pros and cons for both plastic and the bronze.

You should have opened your kit.  The parts look good.  The bearings are USA made SKF.  He repackages everything.  So aside from the SKF bearings you cannot tell if his parts are any different than others.  It is more convenient from David Kee.  But certainly not less expensive.

Good luck with your rebuild.  If I were you, I'd inspect all the parts after it is disassembled.  These transmissions are old and had rough life's so many of the hard parts are simply worn out.  My trans worked fine but made noise so I started with just a rebuild kit.  Then after disassembly I discovered it needed much more, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears because the engagement teeth were rounded off, synchro sleeves, shift forks, reverse idler gear, reverse idler shaft, shaft for the countershaft gears (comes with kit).  The input shaft was replaced on the last rebuild so was still like new.

To be forewarned, if during disassembly your friend uses the hammer method on the tail shaft to drive off the rear bearing, the shock from the gears pounding up against snap rings can ruin a snap ring groove, thus ruin the main shaft.  I read about it, plus learned the hard and expensive way. 

Update:  I rebuilt the trans using the plastic thrust washers included in the David Kee rebuild kit.  After research, the gist is people that use them say they work fine.  People that haven't used them, don't like the plastic idea.

22 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Still waiting on mine 

After getting the additional parts it needed beyond a rebuild kit.  It was actually rather straight forward to assemble.  From the other stuff I've seen you do on this forum, you could have easily handled rebuilding your trans.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

After getting the additional parts it needed beyond a rebuild kit.  It was actually rather straight forward to assemble.  From the other stuff I've seen you do on this forum, you could have easily handled rebuilding your trans.

Right?

Well Bob is a handy guy to have around.  I am getting the pieces together for a spare case for my 428 car.  Estimate from the local Pro Gear shop is $350 labor and another $100 for Temken bearings and incidentals.   Little pricey but guess it's about right ?  Brian