Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Clutch Suggestion

I'm rebuilding my 4sp toploader and before I reinstall it I would like to change the clutch.  What is currently installed is an Brute Power 11" clutch when they were sold under the Borg Warner brand.  It's a 3 finger long stock type clutch.

It's not very old but the pedal effort is more than it was with the clutch that was installed before this one.  I don't remember what brand was installed before this Brute Power clutch, but it needed less pedal effort.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good stock replacement 11" clutch.  I'm sure some members here have more experience with clutches than I do.  It's a 351W motor and it uses an 11" clutch.

I'd consider a diaphragm clutch but I don't want to remove the assist spring under the dash.  Plus, I've heard both good and bad results with diaphragm clutches in these older Mustangs.

Thanks

buy a mcleod 1650 lb pressure plate if you want high quality and near stock pedal feel

their series 100 discs are decent but not if you plan to drive it moderately hard frequently . if you plan to drive it moderately hard get their dual friction disc or a centerforce street disc.

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm looking for something that has stock or close to stock pedal feel.  I'm older have long outgrown thinking a street car is for racing.  Plus, I cannot afford to fix something that breaks because of me.  So I mostly drive the car fairly easy.  I'll look into the McCleod 1650 pressure plate and probably the 100 series disk.

I'd try a diaphragm type but I've heard in addition to having to remove the assist spring there are sometimes adjustment issues.  Either the engagement to disengagement is up high in the pedal travel or there is only about 1 inch of pedal travel from full disengagement to full engagement making it more difficult to drive.

4 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong pace, I've seen 1700 lb but not the 1650 lb pressure plates on Mcleod's website.  Do you have any idea what the rating of the original pressure plates were?

the 1700 is fine . they will make you a 1650 but the difference is minute . you wont have a hard pedal feel until around 2000