Jump to content
connery

Need help regarding tires

Recommended Posts

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, connery said:

Sorry that I didn't get to reply to everyone! I want to thank you personally for the replies, I really apreciate the help!

I have decided to buy the Michelin pilot tires. I hope I'm not making a mistake! :)

you are not! post up once you get them and provide your thoughts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and thanks to jholmes for the Schwab site and tires.  I called and spoke with a Matty 215-70-14 RWL is 160.00 installed tax's included.  So another option for a tire that fits a 14" wheel.  No RWL in 15" sizes.  Nearest store is 60 miles from my house.  Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

...and thanks to jholmes for the Schwab site and tires.  I called and spoke with a Matty 215-70-14 RWL is 160.00 installed tax's included.  So another option for a tire that fits a 14" wheel.  No RWL in 15" sizes.  Nearest store is 60 miles from my house.  Brian

Hey Brian, post or PM me how you like those tires if you get them.  My tires are close to 10 years old, so about time to replace them.  They are Cooper Cobra tires, and do OK on dry pavement, but I got caught in the rain once and they really sucked on wet pavement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, Max Power said:

I had Specialty make me some custom GT wheels with the argent centers in 15x7 and 15x8, so I am sticking with them. I am actually waiting for Coker to make either the Redline Radials or the Firestone Wide Oval tires in the new radial design in sizes I want so I can go full retro.

Hay Max, have any pics of your custom 15" GT Wheels with the Argent centers ??

I'm looking to replace my old 14" GT wheels & 225/70 tires and really want a set of (4) 15x7 with Argent Centers ... just don't care for the full chrome look, especially without trim rings.   To be even sneakier, I'd like to find trim rings that look like the OE 14" ones, but I think I'm pushing my luck here !!

On Wheel Vintiques site all they show is chrome centers and I was thinking of contacting them to see if they would do argent and if they possibly had trim rings that would fit the 15x7 wheel.   I had been on Coker Tire's web site and just assumed their wheels were also from W-V, but I now see they are Specialty Wheel brand.   Would be surprised if these wheels are not actually both made at the same plant, but you never know.

As much as I want to keep the stock GT look, I started seriously thinking about going with Wheel Vintique '69 Boss 302 Magnums with the two-tone Argent & Silver painted centers ... would give me the color contrast I'm looking for, something different from what I've had for the last 35 years, and not be like the typical '69-70 Mustang (65-73 really) trying to keep a period Ford look with chrome & black center Magnums.

Doug 

 

1969 Boss 302 wheel.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, jholmes217 said:

My tires are close to 10 years old, so about time to replace them.  They are Cooper Cobra tires, and do OK on dry pavement, but I got caught in the rain once and they really sucked on wet pavement.

Oh I think I can beat that ... my 225/70-R14 BFG Radial T/A's were put on my car in 1987 ... 30 YEARS AGO !!   Car has been a garage queen for the last 25 years though, so they still look almost perfect.   Just drove it this week to a show 85 miles away and tires were obviously my 1st concern.   Took all 4 off and cleaned up the back sides and carefully inspected each and found no cracks or anything else weird going on front sides, back sides, or in the treads.   DId a major mechanical overhaul in 2011 so most everything was gone through except the engine & differential ... water pump was last replaced in 1993-94, so that was another concern.  So yes I was a little nervous as this was the farthest trip I'd taken this car on in many years, but all went well.

So, my tire question ... I've still got GT (16:1 ratio) Manual Steering on this car and I'm thinking up-ing to 235/60-15 tires which have 1.3" more tread width than 225/70-14 (8.1" vs. 6.8" per BFG R-T/A specs).   Could also go with 225/60-15 which is 0.7" wider (7.5") however they are 0.9" shorter vs. the 235 which is 0.4" shorter (dia).   Will I notice a big difference in steering effort ??   It is kind of a bear but tolerable as-is, just wondering if anyone with my steering set up has gone from a 225 to 235 tire and really regretted it.   If you have a GT, Mach 1 or Boss 302 with factory manual steering you've got the same set up as me.

My speedo is already a little fast (70 displayed vs 67 actual), so either of these 15" options will increase the inaccuracy even more ... and maybe correctable with a gear change.

Doug       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, JayEstes said:

I have a 69 coupe, restored 95% stock.  The suspension is all original design, but new parts.  I have new front springs, original leafs in back and KYB gas-adjust shocks all around.  I went with 7in wide rims, 4.125in backspacing.  I run 235 x 60 x R15 cragars (still love em).  White letter tires were a must for me.  I bought a set of the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's for my sons 71 coupe, and they look great, seem to have decent traction, but they are kinda expensive.

I settled on Cooper Tire's "cooper cobra" for my 69.  I really like these tires so far, they seem to grip well in turns, work well enough in rain (tho I have limited experience with this car in the rain).  I also feel they look as good as the Goodrich - maybe better, and can be as much as $50/tire less.

I was really worried about trying 235/60/15's up front, but with the stock suspension completely rebuilt, I have had literally zero issues.

Best of luck with selecting tires and wheels - only thing that affects overall perception of the car more, is paint.

Jay

 

5920a4f1c70a3_2017-05-0422_44_45.thumb.jpg.35978f860fa5bcd4844f0ed888e52c42.jpg

2017-04-21 19.25.53.jpg

 

I know this is an older thread been searching everywhere didn't want to start a new thread on wheels. I'm old school I guess love the look of the Cragar SS, want to keep it looking like it was still 1969. It has some vintage American Racing chrome drag wheels with spinners that I can't stand on it now.

I am picking up a set of these wheels today or Wednesday for the front 15x7 backspace 4.125 offset 6 , it appears they fit fine. 

My question is I understand the 4.125 backspacing but how does the offset of 6mm calculate for some reason it's not computing in my feeble old brain. I've looked at charts with - / + offset & understand that, are my calculations how you figure it out.

Example

+ 6mm offset =.236 backspace 4.125  + .236 = 4.361 total clearance distance

- 6mm offset =.236 backspace 4.125  - .236 = 3.889 total clearance distance

Is this correct? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob & Sue said:

 

I know this is an older thread been searching everywhere didn't want to start a new thread on wheels. I'm old school I guess love the look of the Cragar SS, want to keep it looking like it was still 1969. It has some vintage American Racing chrome drag wheels with spinners that I can't stand on it now.

I am picking up a set of these wheels today or Wednesday for the front 15x7 backspace 4.125 offset 6 , it appears they fit fine. 

My question is I understand the 4.125 backspacing but how does the offset of 6mm calculate for some reason it's not computing in my feeble old brain. I've looked at charts with - / + offset & understand that, are my calculations how you figure it out.

Example

+ 6mm offset =.236 backspace 4.125  + .236 = 4.361 total clearance distance

- 6mm offset =.236 backspace 4.125  - .236 = 3.889 total clearance distance

Is this correct? 

 

 

Offset and backspacing basically measure the same thing. You do not have to add or subtract offset to/from backspacing. Link below has some figures and explanation on how offset relates to backspace. All you need is rim width and offset, or rim width and backspacing to know how far the rim is going to stick out of the fender.

http://thesquealingtire.com/wheel-offset-and-backspace-explained/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×