Chelby-Ann

Front End Alignment - BAD NEWS

12 hours ago, Chelby-Ann said:

I wonder if the bad alignment added to my lower ball joint failure. I wish I could attach the video. Amazing!

alignment has zero affect on ball joint failure, however, when the upper arm mounting point is lowered like it is when doing the shelby/arning drop, the upper joint on some arms can bind at full compression . all arms are not made the same.

14 hours ago, Chelby-Ann said:

So I started working on replacing the idler arm and find that the drivers side lower ball joint has about 1/4" of play in it. WOW! Passenger side not so much play at all. Remember the tire wear on the drivers side compared to the passenger. Hard to believe a ball joint would go bad after 4000 miles. So, I cant seem to find a source for a lower ball joint replacement. You know the kind that when you drill out the rivets in the old and you bolt in the new. Any suggestions? Thinking I just have to buy the lower control arm assembly w/ball joint attached. I wonder if the bad alignment added to my lower ball joint failure. I wish I could attach the video. Amazing!

This may be due to poor/cheap "new" repro parts.  I have been amazed at how many parts you can get for these cars at really inexpensive prices.  Unfortunately, I think the competition for lowest price drives some places to deliver substandard equipment.  So in more cases that I ever expected, I found the "new parts" were fine when I brought them, but they wear out super fast, or don't work as well as originals.  I wonder if you inadvertently bought inexpensive ball joints when you put them in, and they just weren't a good product?  Makes me wanna go check mine - they have about 3K on them now...