Chelby-Ann

Front End Alignment - BAD NEWS

I finally got the car over to the shop that originally did my front end alignment 2 years ago. She started getting "squirrely" on me when I drive it so I thought she needed another front end alignment. Front end was off and he showed me the numbers on the machine when he pulled down on the front end. Something is terribly wrong with my stock front end and need some guidance on what I need to do, I will do my best to paint a picture of the front end. She has 4100 miles on it. Went from drums to disk brakes with the original spindles. I did the 1" drop. Why? Cuz I thought that would give the car a better stance. New springs. New shocks. As you can see the tires need to be replaced. Drivers side worse than the passenger side. Robert talked about camber and bump steer and that's all Greek to me. Can someone dumb it down for me so I know what I need to be looking at? Should I abandon the 1" drop? Upgrade the front end? I just want to solve the severe wear on my front tires and maintain good front end alignment. Thanks in advance. In the mean time off to by 2 new tires. Bill.

Front End Driver Side.jpg

Front End Pass Side.jpg

Front End.jpg

Driver Side Front Tire.jpg

Passenger Front Tire.png

From looking at the tire wear it appears to have to much negative camber and looking at the eccentric bolts it appears that they are in the most negative position. 

As anyone put shims in the upper control arm.

Dave

they either aligned it incorrectly or something loosened up which changed the alignment or something in the suspension was worn out before, or wore out after, the alignment . irregardless, you should NOT have to be asking what is wrong with it on an internet forum if you have it at a competent shop, so it sounds to me like you should take it someone that actually knows what the hell they are doing.

It currently has too much negative camber, more so on the drivers side.  The eccentrics on the lower control arms are already at their most positive camber position.  So, nothing can be adjusted at the eccentrics to help it.  Either:

(1) somebody has mistakenly shimmed the upper control arms

(2) your shock towers are sagging inward which is common on these Mustangs if it has never been addressed

(3) worn ball joints or control arm bushing, but doesn't look likely

(4) the car is simply lowered a little too far with the stock suspension to be able to obtain correct alignment.

It's probably item 4 in the list.  But check the other items as well. 

Nothing wrong with adding shims to the UCA. Earlier Mustangs use them with the same suspension design, albiet with shorter control arms.

Yes, we need the alignment numbers. Please advise.

DO NOT abandon the Arning drop.

I added a bump steer kit which lowered the outer tie rod, reducing my bump steer to almost nil. http://www.cjponyparts.com/baer-bumpsteer-kit-1967-1969/p/BSK2/?year=1969&gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9Y1zb53kapO-1KYG3mdEMpLsrd1NaT-3cY7NWXCSfk5xoCfRjw_wcB

Imho, the first two things added to our cars need to be the Export Brace and Monte Carlo bar.

bsk2.jpg

Daze's alignment specs:. http://dazecars.com/dazed/suspension101.html#3

Please align to these specs “1967-1970 Mustang, Falcon & Cougar Performance Alignment with or without Shelby drop”.  

These specifications are in order of importance.

1.  NO more than .25 degrees difference between driver’s side and passenger’s side.

2. +2.0  to +3.5 degrees caster.  

3.  -.5 to 0 degrees camber.  No positive camber, please.  There is no problem having a slight variation from driver’s side to passenger’s side to account for the crown in the road.

4.    1/16" to 1/8” toe in

Thank you for your replies. I believe he is using original specs to align. There are no shims. There were several replies with specs to use that I will share with him or find another shop once I get new tires but not sure which one to use. Im inclined to go with Daze. Glad I won't have to abandon the drop. I'm here in North Carolina so any recommendations for shops that are familiar with this sort of alignment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Choosing different alignment specs will not reduce the tire wear issue.  It already has too much negative camber and from the pictures the camber adjustment on the lower control arms are at their extreme end of adjustment for positive camber.  You need to find a way to eliminate some negative camber, i.e. unfortunately raising the ride height a little is one option.

Incorrect toe will cause excessive wear on either the inner or outer tire edges.  But yours looks like an excessive negative camber issue.

13 hours ago, moodster said:

I'm close by in Kernersville, NC.  If you want I can easily check your camber... I bought a gauge when I did mine.  PM me if you're interested.

David

PM sent. Thanks

On 5/18/2017 at 9:50 AM, Chelby-Ann said:

That is my plan. Thanks. I report back when it is checked out and correctly set. 

aligning it is NOT the problem . the problem is that you need to determine if any parts are worn before you do anything and then do NOT set the toe in a 1/16" . thats just nuts.

That wear on new front-end tires has to imply that it wasn't set right when you had it aligned the first time.  That or some part(s) you put in were put in wrong and/or are now damaged.  The shelby (arning) drop should NOT be the issue.  

I'd bet $ the guy that originally aligned it, put it at max adjustment on the eccentric bolts, and said "damn - I can't do any better than that, just call it good". If they told you it was in spec when it left the shop the first time, I would be very suspicious.

Like Barnett says - go somewhere else - I suspect you are going to wind-up at shims on the uppers due to lowering, shelby-drop won't cause this problem. I have stock spring lengths with shelby-drop and its fantastic.

Bottom-line: I doubt it's your work or your car, it's likely that it was never aligned right to begin with.

does your suspension work the way it should?

i once had a problem with a cheap upper control arm that got stuck from time to time, and my tires looked just as bad after only a few miles.
since then i try to go with made in the usa parts if available.

Sorry to repeat this.  Yes something might be worn, ball joint, control arm bushing, etc.  But the suspension parts seen in the pictures look fairly new.  I don't understand why the fact the car might be lowered a little too far to obtain correct camber adjustment is being ignored.  That's a fairly common issue with these cars.  You have to remember, these cars have severe camber curves as the suspension travels up and down.  Lowering the upper control arms reduces that some.  So lowering the car drastically changes the camber.

If you don't want to raise the ride height, the other option, like a couple of other members already mentioned, is shim the upper control arms.  To be forewarned, I've seen that done once, then the tires rubbed against the fenders.

Afternoon Folks. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. I was able to have my front end aligned this morning at a Ford Dealership. The fellah that does the alignments comes with high regards so I thought that I would try him. We spent 3 hours on her and worked at getting it right. In the end she needed shims added to the Upper Control Arms. I measured them to be .110" thick. I had no idea how involved aligning this car was. Next up is to buy new tires and keep an eye on the wear on the tires. I look forward to having this issue behind me. No worn, loose or broken parts.

Front End Alignment Readings May 2017.jpg

Front End Alignment May 2017.jpg