69RavenConv

Convertible top while moving???

When I was a kid back in the 60's, I once saw a guy try to operate the convertible top on his Cadillac while cruising down the highway. Needless to say, once it reached a critical angle, it caught the wind was ripped straight back.

I've owned a vert for over 40 years so I know NOT to try that, even if I had a power top (which I don't)

But tonight watching the ballgame, I saw a Buick commercial where they showed  a Buick dropping the top while in motion. Do they have that technology now? It seems to me the top is going to act like a big scoop at a certain angle and get ripped off the vehicle. But maybe they've come up with something I haven't seen yet.

Some of the new ones lift the back of the top while the front folds/rolls back creating a channel for the air to pass.  I think the speed has to be < 5 -15 mph thought, depending on the model.  That doesn't make it a good idea IMHO.  Its still a distraction while driving, like texting, shaving, eating a big mac, or posting on 69stang.com best done while the car is not moving.

1 hour ago, Mach1Rider said:

And beer ads shows you that drinking their stuff will get you girls too.

I helps a little maybe when you are young and fit... but then it turns on you and attaches to your belly ruining your chances as you get older.

Looks cool in a commercial but bad to do in real life.

i have seen many people do it while moving slow which is fine.

you don't really know what speed they were going in the commercial, and you don't know how many failures they had and just grabbed a back up car to get that shot

bob

Yeah, pretty much what I thought - convertible tops and the laws of physics are still what they were in 1969. I'm surprised in this day and age that they would put anything remotely stupid in their advertising, knowing some moron will sue them after they try it and fail

But I'm shocked by the beer thing -- are you telling me hot babes in bikinis AREN'T attracted to me when I'm holding a BudMiller Light???? Well, that sure explains a lot!

10 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

But I'm shocked by the beer thing -- are you telling me hot babes in bikinis AREN'T attracted to me when I'm holding a BudMiller Light???? Well, that sure explains a lot!

Fake facts!  Fake facts!

2 hours ago, Midlife said:

Fake facts!  Fake facts!

The real facts are that while babes are not more attracted to you when you are holding a certain brand of beer. The reality is that you THINK they are more attracted to you once you have downed a few of those beers. 

I think it's something they are putting in the beer...........

oh yea, the alcohol, that's it

bob