Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

FE 390 Long Tube Headers

Hi Everyone, 

I am looking for pics of a FE 390/428 with long tube headers in the gear box area.  I'm ready to install my headers and know that I have to drop the steering an inch.  I have the bracket to lower it but a picture of how it goes on would help me a lot.  Thanks  Mark

Be aware that the drop bracket changes the angle of the steering ram cylinder.  It was explained to me that the design put additional stress on the frame rail and may eventually result in the bolts with the captured nuts still attached being pulled through the frame rail.  Having been there, I welded the drop bracket to the underside of the frame rail and drove for many miles without further problem.

Note that scraping speed bumps and driveway aprons was a continuing issue due to the Super Comps minimum ground clearance. If that is a problem for you, the FPA Tri-Y design headers tuck nicely between the subframe rails and provide greater ground clearance.

Good luck with your install.