mark69sportsroof

Which Temperature Sender is Best

The after market senders are notoriously unreliable.  I searched for and found a nos sender for my car and have not had any problems.   I should also mention that I rebuild the entire cooling system as well.  Brian

69 MPC Temp. Units.jpg

NOS C6 Temp. Sender 1.JPG

8 minutes ago, mark69sportsroof said:

Thanks Brian and Barnett.  If I read the chart correctly I would need the C9WY 10884-A (SW 888).  Thanks Mark

you should also check the temp just behind the t stat housing with an infra red then look at your gauge to see where the needle is so you have a reference point.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, barnett468 said:

yeah, nos or used orig from ebay.

When people say the aftermarket sending units are no good, is it because they quit working, or are they inaccurate with a stock gauge???

I have been developing custom gauges for older muscle cars, but I use modern digital technology to drive miniature stepper motors like in many modern cars, and I can write the transfer function for any sending unit as long as it is repeatable. I have also found sources for thermistors which would thread into the intake manifold like a stock sensor, but they will not read correctly on a stock gauge.   I'm looking for a repeatably accurate aftermarket sending unit that I can use so my customers could find an aftermarket source if necessary...

Thanks,

Mike

4 hours ago, mwye0627 said:

When people say the aftermarket sending units are no good, is it because they quit working, or are they inaccurate with a stock gauge???

I have been developing custom gauges for older muscle cars, but I use modern digital technology to drive miniature stepper motors like in many modern cars, and I can write the transfer function for any sending unit as long as it is repeatable. I have also found sources for thermistors which would thread into the intake manifold like a stock sensor, but they will not read correctly on a stock gauge.   I'm looking for a repeatably accurate aftermarket sending unit that I can use so my customers could find an aftermarket source if necessary...

Thanks,

Mike

My experience with aftermarket sending units is that they are very inaccurate.  I have tried a few of them and their resistance values are off from the factory ones.  I have only tied them into the factory gauges though, and the last one I had read way too hot.  I then found a used factory one in an old intake manifold, installed it, and it fixed the problem immediately.

Mike, the resistance values are off consistently with the aftermarket sending units.  You can fix the issue by putting a resistor inline but not many people want or know how to do that.  The original senders do go bad from time to time.

david