lalojamesliz

Buy or make fuel/brake lines?

Anyone have experience making hard lines with a tubing bender and flare tool?

I need or want to install bigger fuel lines to feed the 408w and I do need new hard lines going to the 9"rear axle I installed. 

Is it a PITA to make them no matter the metal type I use or easily done?

If I can save a little cash making them or if it's about the same after I buy the tools then I'd be happy. I do love me some tools :)

i've made my own.  it's not something i like doing.  i don't believe you will save cash making something already available (assuming what's available is what meets your requirements and don't need rework).  

the tube bender/flaring tools will likely be different for the brakes on the rear axle as compared to the fuel lines.  so you'll probably need tools for each.

Unless it's a skill you want to learn cause you're gonna be doing it often in the future.  And unless you feel like buying the tools cause you're gonna be doing it often in the future, my vote (and what I did when I rebuilt my brakes) is to buy them.  It is a very "doable" task and the tools and lines are not particularly expensive.  Just worked out that it was easier to buy for me.

I make my own because I had to make the for the race cars. For me it was never that big of a deal.

if you can't see in your head what direction the next bend it supposed to be then you will fight it all the way.

i also have several bending tools of different radiusus which also helps in creating the bends you need to look right.

if you are not good at it and if you can buy what you need then do so

bob

You can buy some of the nice flaring tools and flare any type and size of metal line.  I think mine cost $200 or so.  That was a hard sell for me - at first - then after stripping a bunch of paint off my car with brake fluid and nearly catching my car on fire with gasoline, I decided it was totally worth it.  If you're stuck with the standard flaring tools then you should definitely avoid stainless steel lines of any sort.  In larger sizes of the regular steel you'll find that some of your flares will probably leak so you'll just have to try again.  If you use copper or one of the copper-nickel alloys then standard flaring tools will work great.  

david