MAC390

Which radio do i get

Unfortunately that is like asking which of the 10,000 different cars made is the "best" because there are a ton of good radios to choose from.

How much money do you have?

How loud do you want it?

Are you going to fill your trunk with amplifiers?

Do you want the bass to be able to blow your doors open?

Are you an audophile that wants to clearly hear every nuance of the music?

Are you willing to add additional speakers to the car?

Have you considered just a Bluetooth receiver/amp with the speakers only and leaving the stock radio installed? 

It can be installed somewhere hidden.

I've only heard of them but their supposed to work good.  

If you want to save a lil just get this 

HomeSpot NFC-Enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OBCAW2/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_mL3fzbJ9Y56WN
I have that on my home stereo because I like my older marantz receiver and didn't want to upgrade to a newer marantz $$$
I've had this for a couple years and it works great. You can power it with a car charger because it uses a mini usb plug with 5v and I've been 20+ ft away and it works fine.
That and a good 4 ch amp like a JL 300/4 with some rca splitters sonce it only has a 2ch output and your set
I couldn't make up my mind on a double din or this Bluetooth set up. Now I don't think ill have a radio at all in my 69. I want to hear the 408w sex from under the hood and my exhaust  lol

7 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

I have a AM/FM/ w/dash speaker.  The only time I turn it on or can hear it is at a stop light.  So if you can hear a radio you've got more work to do on your engine.  Brian

69 Radio 1.JPG

^ x2 lol

Hey Brian, got 3 daughters and they listen to crap music that's why i love the sound of the FE and it has got plenty of mumbo but there is always room for more.

C6  and a 4.30 Detroit locker . and they don't like my music.HA HA

If you get a Custom Autosound, you will regret it. They used to use Kenwood internals, but since they moved to all Chinese stuff, they've been crap. So if you hear someone explain how they've had one for years, that's why.

The Ford Factory radio is hard to beat.  There is a slight  audio improvement in some of the newer radios, but in a 69 Mustang you will never be able to tell it unless the motor is off.  You will also be able to pick up weak signals from distant cities better with the new radios. But if you just want something for driving around town, the old Ford radio is the way to go.  The trouble with the 70s era Ford Factory radios is they all require external amplifiers and better speakers to get the good sound.  So if you want a cheap radio with good sound but no fancy features, go with an old  factory one.  It is fairly simple to add a  MP3 player input or  bluetooth receiver to the old factory radios.   I have done it on mine and for others in the forum.  Good speakers will be needed no matter which radio you end up with. A nice 70's radio is about $50, some are cheaper, some are more. External amplifiers are another $50; some are cheaper, some are more.  A bluetooth or MP3 input can be installed in it for maybe another $50.   A good  case of beer is only  $30, so go for it. Get them all and get it done!

On 5/15/2017 at 5:27 PM, Brian Conway said:

I have a AM/FM/ w/dash speaker.  The only time I turn it on or can hear it is at a stop light.  So if you can hear a radio you've got more work to do on your engine.  Brian

69 Radio 1.JPG

Brian, I'm with you. I did have my factory am/fm stereo unit overhauled because it didn't work at all but it still plays through a coaxial speaker in the dash.I prefer to hear the 428 Comp Cams Thumpr series bellow than listen to the radio.   Dave R.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:41 PM, danno said:

The Ford Factory radio is hard to beat.  There is a slight  audio improvement in some of the newer radios, but in a 69 Mustang you will never be able to tell it unless the motor is off.  You will also be able to pick up weak signals from distant cities better with the new radios. But if you just want something for driving around town, the old Ford radio is the way to go.  The trouble with the 70s era Ford Factory radios is they all require external amplifiers and better speakers to get the good sound.  So if you want a cheap radio with good sound but no fancy features, go with an old  factory one.  It is fairly simple to add a  MP3 player input or  bluetooth receiver to the old factory radios.   I have done it on mine and for others in the forum.  Good speakers will be needed no matter which radio you end up with. A nice 70's radio is about $50, some are cheaper, some are more. External amplifiers are another $50; some are cheaper, some are more.  A bluetooth or MP3 input can be installed in it for maybe another $50.   A good  case of beer is only  $30, so go for it. Get them all and get it done!

Danno is right. Got a mid 70's radio with usb, mimi jack and power antenna lead. Went to Crutchfield and got a Kicker amp and speakers. Nothing fancy or outrageousI put the dual speakers in the stock location in the dash, side by side and 2 speakers in the package tray. Amp is in the trunk. It sounds bad ass and I can play the radio or an ipod through it. I can even plug in my phone and play sirris, 60s 0n 6....Love it..

Yes it will fit. I am on my second RetroSound radio. I had a model 1 and had a speaker short and burnt the amp section out of it. Purchased a Malibu to replace it, the fit was 10x better. I also added a RetroSound Quad 4 Amplifier. Made a custom bracket and put it behind the pass side dash panel. Fit is good, also have A/C and had room.

Ed

On 5/16/2017 at 5:09 AM, Guillaume69 said:

Retrosound without a single hesitation. I got the model 2 "Malibu" for my 69. Couldn't be happier: top notch technology with classic looks.

G

+1!  One nice thing I have noticed is that when I get in the car, even with my iphone in my pocket, it pairs automatically, AND begins to play music.  If nothing was playing on it, it goes to a random selection and shuffles.  I actually like this feature as I have to do nothing to get music when I get in the car.

There is a funny related story to this "feature" too.... The other day, I was taking a buddy to the auto parts store.  We hop in the stang, and I crank it up.  I begin to back up, and suddenly, there is this horrible, uneven loud noise coming from the engine.  My engine has less than 5kmi after a complete rebuild, so I am shitting bricks...

I hop out of the car immediately - to the dismay of my friend - and pop the hood - surely I have a blown head gasket or and exhaust manifold has popped lose....... "damn, I can't hear it out here... WTH..."  stand there, scratch my head..  My buddy hops out and says "what's up?"  I said "IDK, I thought something had popped loose or blown out!  But now I don't hear it!..  Did you hear it?"  He pauses, then says with a smirk.... "I hear Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher" on the radio".....  Then he just begins laughing at my ass!

Duh!  If you know the beginning of that song, you can imagine my freak out.  If you don't - you can figure it by listening here:

HAHA!  Good sound from the Retro!

Jay