MAC390

Which radio do i get

On 5/18/2017 at 7:12 AM, Dave R. said:

Brian, I'm with you. I did have my factory am/fm stereo unit overhauled because it didn't work at all but it still plays through a coaxial speaker in the dash.I prefer to hear the 428 Comp Cams Thumpr series bellow than listen to the radio.   Dave R.

Dave, I think you are the only person I've heard of who put a Thumpr cam in a 428.  How do you like it?  Does it work OK with power brakes?  I was looking at the Mutha Thumpr, but went with a custom grind from Oregon Cams similar to a Comp Magnum 280H.

jholmes217, I like it just fine. It was recommended by the engine builder and he drag races Ford power. I think the Mutha Thumpr is the next more radical series of cams. The brakes are OK but a little more vacuum wouldn't hurt anything. Great exhaust note.   Dave R.

On 07/06/2017 at 3:36 AM, Black Jade said:

Yes it will fit. I am on my second RetroSound radio....Purchased a Malibu to replace it, the fit was 10x better. I also added a RetroSound Quad 4 Amplifier. Made a custom bracket and put it behind the pass side dash panel. Fit is good, also have A/C and had room.

Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks for this information, you've sold it to me.  Malibu it is.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, MAC390 said:

Just want a factory looking radio that sounds good, nothing over the top.

Custom auto sound or Retro sound , something like those.

Mac390, what did you end up doing? I'm at the same point now. Custom Autosound or Retro? I want seamless bluetooth reception and chill sound. I don't need Sirius or radio or iPod as I run everything through my Samsung S8. I'm restoring my uncles 1969 Mustang and this is the last piece to my puzzle. How about speakers/amp/subw

Bought  Retro sound Hermosa but have not fitted it yet have pioneer speakers no amp, for the wife and kids.

Got a hot FE to listen to and it don't play rap music.lol

Just bought a Retrosound on the recommendations of this thread.  I couldn't buy a Malibu and they don't sell them anymore, so I bought the next best thing, a Hermosa.  Cost me $330 but it's going to be worth it.

Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions.

12 hours ago, Thin Lizzy said:

Yes.  Made new openings for the 6x4s so they were flush and original speaker grilles fitted over.  I'll dig out some photos.

Thanks. That will be very helpful. I had a stereo guy looking at my car and wasn't very confident in some of his suggestions for the doors.

That was helpful. One more question (maybe!). The depth of the speaker didn't interfere with the window operation? The only think you need to do was increase the hole size, correct?