Sign in to follow this  
rittenrotton

Rewired 70 coupe

So I just finished rewiring my 70 coupe with the american autowire kit and now every time I connect the battery, the car tries to start without the keys in the ignition. I have an MSD 6L ignition system, a mini starter for an 03 cobra and a new starter solenoid. I have retraced all of my wiring and as far as I can tell, all the wiring matches the instructions both for the msd and the aaw kit. The only way the motor doesn't try to turn over on its own is if I disconnect the starter wire from the starter solenoid, it doesn't try to crank. Any ideas/suggestions as to what I can check to see whats causing this issue?

Thanks!

There are a huuuge number of ways to miss-wire a car. Since many people have problems understanding the ignition system (which includes the starter), I drew a schematic and wire diagram, and then explained how it works. Maybe this will give you some insight as to what may be wrong. Since you don't have a stock system, it is difficult to guess how it should be wired. I'm guessing it is somewhere in the top part of the schematic relating to the solenoid and starter.

It might help to post the starter instructions.

If you remove the wire going to S on the solenoid does the starter still spin? If you reverse the wires on S and I and the key is in the run position, it will apply 5.7 volts to the solenoid coil, and it "could" pull-in.

Mustang Ignition2.pdf