Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

I need some answers to some engine build questions.

I am thinking ahead here, I have a 1987 5.0 short block with approx 80K miles that will need new rings, bearings, & seals that I was thinking of building for my 69 Coupe. Today I found a guy in southeastern Pa selling a 306 short block with Probe forged pistons, head studs, TFS Stage 1 cam, lifters, balancer, front cover, with less then 500 miles on the engine for $950 obo. TFS Twisted Wedge aluminum cylinder heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, & whichever EFI system I end up choosing will go on either engine. The engine I have will need a cam & lifters. I know prices will vary by region of the country but is it possible to get the work done on my engine to get it to what the engine I am looking at already has?.

31 minutes ago, RPM said:

Heck, if those TF heads are in good shape they alone should be worth the $950. That 306 would be hard for me to pass up.

Hey, stop drinkin so early in the day, the 306 does not have the heads, he is going to add them.

On 5/7/2017 at 1:54 PM, barnett468 said:

It will cost more to build an engine but you have no idea if the 306 was properly balanced or the machine work was good or if it has arp rod bolts or good rods etc  . i never buy used engines unless i can test drive them first.

This right here is all you need to know. There's a significant difference between a rebuilt engine you buy at Pep Boys and one a reliable engine builder puts together. Both may run, but only one you can be certain will last.

Given the engine specs - Probe forged pistons, head studs, etc - I'm betting this engine has had 500 hard use miles.  For example, something like a drag strip.  Just the machine work to rebuild a 302 will cost you $950.  The forged pistons are really only needed if you're running a turbo or supercharger which the seller might have been doing.

david

I am Reluctant to buy a used engine that I do not know some history on.

Who built it, 

what was it used for?

who was the owner and how did he treat it?

sounds like a good deal to me if you can be satisfied with the answers to the above questions

bob

20 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

80,000 miles on a 5.0 bottom end isn't much. I would use a B-303 cam and lifters, with 1.6 roller rockers, bolt your stuff on, and go...

Thanks for the info guys. Thanks Vicfreg, that is what I am going to do.