Machspeed

Wiring Harness: Painless vs. American Autowire

As my car will be somewhat of a resto mod with a one wire alternator, electric fans, and electric fuel pump, I'm thinking I need to change out the wiring harness.  I've been looking at the American Autowire (AAW) and Painless kits and comparing the two. It appears that Painless has a new kit for our cars, item # P/N 20122. Seems like a quality harness too, but about $300 more than the Autowire kit. In review of the two it seems many like the AAW, but not sure that the specific Painless kit was out and available. Looks like the Painless kit has the same Ford color coding, whereas the AAW does not. Anyway, wondering if anyone could shed some insight on this specific Painless harness vs the American Autowire kit?       

I have the AAW harness.  It was well worth the money when I started pricing out repop replacement harness sections.

I used a different set of wire crimpers that worked great.  The crimpers that AAW suggests/loans out are fine but I did not want to spend $200 in tools

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9477-Professional-Interchangeable-Tool/dp/B0045CUMLQ

I had something like that with more jaws. 

The instructions are a bit overwhelming if you are not savvy with electronics. 

I have Painless for my 69 Sportsroof.  The guy that installed it wasn't real happy with it. He had just done his 70 Mach 1 with AAW.  My mechanic likes AAW and has done several cars with it.  The main difference I see is Painless doesn't have a overall schematic to use when trouble shooting an electrical problem.  The instruction book is fine for installing it.

Mark

I would hate not having an overall schematic of the car. 

How are you supposed to troubleshoot a wiring issue down the road?  Hope that the wire still has the label printed on it and hope that the person who installed it do it correctly..

Also, for loom I shopped on ebay for flexible split looming.  It is 10x cheaper than painless

9 hours ago, mark69sportsroof said:

I have Painless for my 69 Sportsroof.  The guy that installed it wasn't real happy with it. He had just done his 70 Mach 1 with AAW.  My mechanic likes AAW and has done several cars with it.  The main difference I see is Painless doesn't have a overall schematic to use when trouble shooting an electrical problem.  The instruction book is fine for installing it.

Mark

Hey thx gentlemen! Mark, do you know what specific Painless kit that you have?

My first step for anything wiring is to talk to Midlife. You'd be amazed at the accommodations he can make to a stock harness. I'd much rather have a harness that conforms to the stock diagram than a completely aftermarket one with a crimp in ever wire.

The Painless model number is 20122, 14 circuit for 69-70 Mustang.  I would have used Midlife (Randy) if I did it over again. I wasn't aware of him then.  In fact my 68 Mercury Parklane I will be sending to Randy the complete wire harness later this fall.  Mark

We just had to integrate 3 different wiring harnesses into a 70 charger utilizing painless, ididit components, mopar and AAW. I'm not a wiring expert by no means but I really like the AAW harnesses, main fuse box and certainly the large coloured schematic. I've used painless before and I prefer the AAW. Again, everyone has their preferences.

....John