Sign in to follow this  
Thin Lizzy

Air Cleaner size?

Hi All,

Does anyone please know if it's possible to fit a 3" high air cleaner under a Mach 1 hood?

My 69 has an Edelbrock 1406 fitted with an ugly 10" x 2 1/4" Edelbrock cleaner.  I was wondering if I fitted a nicer looking Edelbrock Elite 14" X 3" cleaner, would it fit under the hood scoop and would there be any detrimental effect to the airflow around the hood scoop?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Engine%20351W_zpsxhcyz1t3.jpg

fyjert67u_zps2z7hozjr.jpg

You need a drop base air cleaner.  You can buy a K&N 14" diameter drop base by itself.  They offer 7/8" and 1-1/4" drop bases.  Your electric choke on the Edelbrock carb might interfere with the 1-1/4" drop base.  Your fuel line might also interfere with a drop base.  I think Edelbrock makes a fuel line for the carb that drops down for more air cleaner clearance.  With a Holley carb, the 14" diameter combination I have found that provides the most hood clearance is a K&N 1-1/4" drop base, 3" tall filter, and Moroso lid.

You can also simply get a 14" Moroso air cleaner assembly with a drop base and 3" tall filter.  These have a 1" drop base.  Moroso also makes a specific carb to air cleaner gasket to fit their base.  A regular gasket will work but theirs seals a little better.

Whatever combination you try make sure it is from somewhere that has good return policies.  As you know there are hood clearance issues.  But also the choke on your Edelbrock carb can cause fitment issues with drop bases, and sometimes a 14" diameter air cleaner will contact the distributor cap.

Lastly, with drop base air cleaners also check the clearance between the air cleaner lid and top of choke on the carb.

You can also use Play Dough or Silly Putty but put anything you use into a plastic bag or loosely wrap it in plastic food wrap so it doesn't stick to anything.

Keep in mind that if you don't want to adversely affect performance, you need at least around 1 1/2" (37 mm)  of clearance from the top of the carb to the bottom of the air cleaner and 2" (50 mm) would be better, but this clearance is sometimes less if you use a drop down air cleaner on a carburetor that has a choke on it because the choke gets close the the bottom of the lid.