lalojamesliz

Widest rear tire/wheels for a 69 coupe

On 5/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, lalojamesliz said:

What other tires are good with a decent life?

Decent life with over 500hp ain't gonna happen with any tire :)

On 5/13/2017 at 0:32 PM, lalojamesliz said:

It fits, no rubbing, that's a relief 

Can you take a pic with a straight edge vertical across the wheel up to the top of the wheel opening for me please? Or bring it over to fit on my 69 :)

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Can you take a pic with a straight edge vertical across the wheel up to the top of the wheel opening for me please? Or bring it over to fit on my 69 :)

Didn't see this till now unfortunately.  

It doesn't have much space but it looks ok to me. I can take it one of these days to you so you can be sure. 

Send me a text anytime and we can figure something out

1 hour ago, rwcstang said:

am I late to the party? lol

I have 245/40/18 in the front 275/40/18 in the rear, I had to roll the fenders on mine since they would rub when I had ppl sitting in the back or taking a hard turn. 

Only a little :-)

I'll have to roll it for sure then. No biggie

My 18x10's I didn't have to roll with 275's.  But I got more backspacing.  If I added a 1/4 spacer I think I could run 295's without rolling the fender.  Without the spacer I think 295's would be real close to rubbing on the inside.

That's probably the tire I'll just go with. 295/40

Same as the wheel, I'll order 1 and test fit then order the other if it's good. I don't mind rolling the rear fenders...... 

I have a friend with a 2015 mustang with nitto nt555 g2 tires and he's happy with them. I might try that tire first 

Be careful with generic widths, like 295 and 275.  The actual tire width varies by manufacturer so take the width with a grain of salt. One manufacturer's 295 can be the same width as another's 315.  Member Grabber70mach had a handy little comparison a few years back, but for some reason I can't find it.

Below is a link to my combination, 17x10.5 with 315/35 and even after using a BFH in the front inside corners of the wheelwell and rolling the quarter lips it rubs during a turn or pothole. I will be tweaking the inner wheelhouse sheetmetal to add reliefs to alleviate the rubbing. If you want bolt-on with no work and no rubbing, don't go this wide.

2 hours ago, buening said:

Be careful with generic widths, like 295 and 275.  The actual tire width varies by manufacturer so take the width with a grain of salt. One manufacturer's 295 can be the same width as another's 315.  Member Grabber70mach had a handy little comparison a few years back, but for some reason I can't find it.

Below is a link to my combination, 17x10.5 with 315/35 and even after using a BFH in the front inside corners of the wheelwell and rolling the quarter lips it rubs during a turn or pothole. I will be tweaking the inner wheelhouse sheetmetal to add reliefs to alleviate the rubbing. If you want bolt-on with no work and no rubbing, don't go this wide.

Very nice! 

After some more research I found out the nitto g2 tires I was looking at are more for autocross than drag. 

Now, I'm considering the nitto nt05r drags for the back or the nt555 tires. These two are more of a off the line tire and that's all I really care about and they have great high speed stability. 

They have great reviews and I also found out for a 10" tire the best size to go with is a 285 width to have the best traction. Something to do with the sidewalls.

I know those tires won't last long but with the power I'll be making I need lots of grip and these tires have plenty especially when heated. They are also pricey at $300+!

The size available is 285x 35 or 40 for my 18"s

I was reading your thread and I noticed a guy saying he had rubbing with 275 tires also..... he has the same backspace that I do too. 

I can't be too bad and I'll figure something out. I'm about to order 1 tire just to be sure it'll fit because of what you said about each manufacturer having different actual widths even thought the numbers are the  same. 

Just got to decide on the nitto nt05r or nt555.

Thank you for sharing your thread and you have some big cajones for trying 315's! Ha ha ha

If you want a drag radial for the back that will have good street manners (wet driving, noise, etc), the NT555R tires are more popular with the street guys.  You get more life out of them and are more of a street/drag hybrid, rather than the full out nearly-slicks tread pattern of the NT05R.   You could go with NT555R in the back and NT555 in the front.

10 hours ago, buening said:

If you want a drag radial for the back that will have good street manners (wet driving, noise, etc), the NT555R tires are more popular with the street guys.  You get more life out of them and are more of a street/drag hybrid, rather than the full out nearly-slicks tread pattern of the NT05R.   You could go with NT555R in the back and NT555 in the front.

Yeah, that's the tire set I decided on. 

I was debating on the nt555r or nt05r these last few days and last night I talked with a friend that had the nt05r's. He told me they had a lot of 1/4 passes  but only lasted 2k miles.

I was ok with that because of all the 1/4 passes/ burnouts he had on them but what made me choose the nt555r's is he told me the nt05r tires are damn scary with any rain.

I've seen some people say the nt05r does ok in the rain and others say they're horrible in any water.  My friend confirmed that for me last night.

So my end decision for my main question is 

My 18x10 torque thrust 2 wheels with 5.75 backspace with nt555r 285/35/18 tires for the rear.

I just spoke with my engine builder a little while ago and my shortblock should be done in about a month from now. I'm running out of time to finish my 69!