Sign in to follow this  
signorc

Help please! ignition coil issues

Hello everyone, 

I have a msd blaster 2 ignition coil with a 6AL and an MSD distributor on my 302 engine.  

When I take the car out for long drives (4 to 5 hrs on highway at 70 mph) everything runs great.  

When I leave the car in the driveway running for 30 min or longer the ignition coil gets very hot and the engine stalls.  Impossible to start it up again until it cools off.

Could anyone give me some insight on what the problem may be?

Never misfires and timing seems to be spot on.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

All the best from sunny Italy! Paul

Is the coil mounted on it's side? I did that and the oil dripped out causing it to overheat if there wasn't enough air moving around it.

Look for oil around or on the coil. There is an o-ring and screw inside the center post/tower and this had loosened on mine.

Sounds like you have a failed coil. It happens some times.

i had a similar problem a bunch of years ago. Replaced coil and no further issues.

once removed I noticed that the bottom of the coil had swelled like a bad can of food

bob

if you have a holley style carb, make sure the gas level is just below the inspection holes or near the bottom of the sight glass immediately after turning it off on level ground.

if you have another coil, immediately swap them when the problem happens . if not you can try having it loose them when the prob happens, stand it up in a pan with ice and water for exactly 5 minutes then immediately try t again . if it starts right up and runs ok then the coil is probably weak or possibly getting too much voltage.

Yes, a symptom like this is common; it also happened to me.  The coil heats up, and a wire inside breaks.  It cools down, and the wire reconnects. Maybe expansion and contraction of metals?   A simple fix; replace the coil.  I now carry a spare coil in the trunk.  Very cheap insurance.