bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

Hi Phil (V8Ford70) as I couldn't attach photos directly to the message I have attached them here. This is the park brake cable across the exhaust. I suspect it is common for them to touch . It will be interesting to see if others have the same issue.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

On 11/26/2017 at 2:08 PM, bigmal said:

Took it to Canberra on Friday for the Engineers final sign off. This is the first time it's been over 60kmph or further then the local shops. I did 600ks (370m) and it went great. (10mpg or 17L/100kms). Mind you I did have a headache from the exhaust drone and the constant ticking of the speedo cable which developed a glitch.

The Engineer was happy with everything so it's of to submit the paperwork to the Motor Registry

I even had some rain to check out the wipers and to my surprise they worked as they should.

IMG_2105.MOV

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

I assume you got to verify those intermittent wipers?   I hope they worked perfect! 

1 hour ago, danno said:

I assume you got to verify those intermittent wipers?   I hope they worked perfect! 

Hi Danno, still haven't had a chance to fit them. I have a long list of little things to fix before I get to the wipers. And I usually avoid driving in the rain.

I'm trying to find electric outside mirrors to fit. The standard ones are very small and every time I slam the door they move.

somebody had a long description of a mod of an junkyard electric mirror to work in our cars many years ago.   Maybe search for electric mirror?   Another option is that later Fords used a right hand side adjustable mirror that would work in a Mustang. 

4 minutes ago, danno said:

somebody had a long description of a mod of an junkyard electric mirror to work in our cars many years ago.   Maybe search for electric mirror?   Another option is that later Fords used a right hand side adjustable mirror that would work in a Mustang. 

Thanks Danno, I'll do a walk around the junk yards. BTW we call them wreckers.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:49 AM, bigmal said:

Hi Phil (V8Ford70) as I couldn't attach photos directly to the message I have attached them here. This is the park brake cable across the exhaust. I suspect it is common for them to touch . It will be interesting to see if others have the same issue.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

I had the same issue bigmal but just used a small spring to lift it away from the exhaust . When the brake is applied  the spring just moves to suit . It works a treat.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:03 AM, Shep69 said:

I had the same issue bigmal but just used a small spring to lift it away from the exhaust . When the brake is applied  the spring just moves to suit . It works a treat.

Thanks for that. Next time I'm underneath I will do that.

2 hours ago, simplyj said:

Fwiw mid 80’s Mazda rx7 mirrors are power and look very similar to the stock sport mirrors. Shouldn’t be too hard to find a rhd set. 

Thanks for that. I will start looking at te wreckers.

Since the conversion I have had a problem with the fuel gauge. Highest it would read was 1/2. I grounded the wire and it reads full.

About 2 months ago I bought a new sender unit. Before installing I hooked up the sender wire and made sure that full was full and empty was empty.

Installed and added about 2 gals of petrol and still read empty. Went to the petrol station and put what I thought would equate to 1/2 a tank in it. Only reading 1/4 full which is what it would have read before. I didn't  want to fill it as that's just more to drain if I had to change it.

Did a lot of head scratching and it should work. I checked before installing. Should work but I was over it and thought I would leave it for another day. Anyway on the weekend I needed to go for a drive and filled the tank. Bugger me. The gauge worked perfectly.

What a dickhead.  I would have felt like a bigger dickhead if I had started a blog to get help trouble shooting this one.

IMG_0262.JPG

2 hours ago, bigmal said:

Since the conversion I have had a problem with the fuel gauge. Highest it would read was 1/2. I grounded the wire and it reads full.

About 2 months ago I bought a new sender unit. Before installing I hooked up the sender wire and made sure that full was full and empty was empty.

Installed and added about 2 gals of petrol and still read empty. Went to the petrol station and put what I thought would equate to 1/2 a tank in it. Only reading 1/4 full which is what it would have read before. I didn't  want to fill it as that's just more to drain if I had to change it.

Did a lot of head scratching and it should work. I checked before installing. Should work but I was over it and thought I would leave it for another day. Anyway on the weekend I needed to go for a drive and filled the tank. Bugger me. The gauge worked perfectly.

What a dickhead.  I would have felt like a bigger dickhead if I had started a blog to get help trouble shooting this one.

IMG_0262.JPG

I had the exact same thing happen to me Bigmal.  I went through a few senders . Checked all the wiring and eventually purchased an adjustable voltage reg that sits behind the dash. That did the trick for me and i can fine tune it.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:03 AM, Shep69 said:

Shep 69 could you please post some photos of where you placed the spring .Anyone else do anything different to this would be interested to see .Thanking you, Cheers Phil

Phil,

I just used a small zip tie and attached the top of the spring to the brake line next to the retaining clip. It works well and when you apply the brakes the spring just moves to suit and then when you let the park brake off it lifts it up to clear the exhaust.  Stops it resting on the exhaust.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Some of the little things I didn't think of with the conversion that I am tidying up while the engine is out. The button is on the wrong side of the T Bar and really annoying for me as I'm missing a finger on my left hand. Was quite fiddly to drill the new holes but gave me the chance to tidy it up while in pieces.

T Bar.PNG

T Bar shaft snip.PNG

IMG-0577.JPG

IMG-0575.JPG

7 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

For that shifter, was the bezel the opposite way?  The gear markers are on the left side, where you are on the right.  Not that anyone ever looks when they shift, but its a detail.  Good work!

Hi mate, I didn’t change the side the indicator is on. It hadn’t occurred to me that it may change sides.