bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

Mal,

You're work is amazing.  Top notch.  More than I would ever do.  Here is something I would do to finish off the project.  It is the Mustang in the grill.  Since you are converting to right hand drive, move the Mustang to the right hand side.  2 ways to do it.  First way is to gently saw off the head and tail from the plastic and turn the center piece upside down.  2 new holes would have to be drilled to match the pins in the center piece.  It now matches the angle of the grille.  Flip over the back of the grille piece and bolt it on.  The second one is the easiest.  Move it to the right side and turn it upside down.  Angle matches and you have a true, Down Under Mustang.

1 hour ago, tim42 said:

Mal,

You're work is amazing.  Top notch.  More than I would ever do.  Here is something I would do to finish off the project.  It is the Mustang in the grill.  Since you are converting to right hand drive, move the Mustang to the right hand side.  2 ways to do it.  First way is to gently saw off the head and tail from the plastic and turn the center piece upside down.  2 new holes would have to be drilled to match the pins in the center piece.  It now matches the angle of the grille.  Flip over the back of the grille piece and bolt it on.  The second one is the easiest.  Move it to the right side and turn it upside down.  Angle matches and you have a true, Down Under Mustang.

Thanks Tim. I hadn't thought about that. I will need to mull it over a bit.

Now that I have driven it a little I am sorting out some bugs. I had lost the temp/oil/fuel gauges again. I suspected it was a short in the terminal posts to the intrument panel frame again. I was right except insted of fuel this time it was temp. I double checked all three this time so should not see that again. Also sorted a faulty bulb for the high beam indicator.

Steering wheel is a little low even though it's the exact height it was on the left. Turns out my right seat is about an inch higher. Maybe the left seat has sagged more over the 48 years. The easiest fix was to take a spacer out of the column mount which lifted the wheel 1/2" giving enough room to slide under.

Put the dash back together and took for a drive and all sems good. Although the fuel gauge reads lower with the new intrument regulator. I will look into the sender when I get a moment. I'm thinking of going for a 22 gal 1970 tank in the near future which will need a new sendor. I may pick up a tank when in the US in April. Hopefully OK as checked luggage.

I had left the interior windscreen trim pices off as they were a low prioirty. Thought I'd finish that area off now the dash doesn't have to come out again. Doh!!! The trim pieces have to go in before the dash top. Bugger me. A job for another day.

IMG_1988.JPG

Did a few more things on the weekend before I take it to the Engineer on Friday for final sign off.

The steering universal was touching the exhaust when under heavy acceleration. Had to drop the rack and grind a little of the manifold. Now it has good clearence.

Fitted new headlights with parkers incorporated. Fitted sound proofing (Resomat) under the rear seat. It was a bit drummy with the new exhaust. Made a big difference.

Finished the installation of the inertia reel belts in the rear (Retro Belt USA). They work very well and managed to get the positioning right first time.

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

13 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Nice set up Mal, well done and i just might have to do the same to mine.

I need to get them shortened so they pull in tight when not in use. Easilly done. I ave a friend who repairs seatbelts. Just another job on the list.

Took it to Canberra on Friday for the Engineers final sign off. This is the first time it's been over 60kmph or further then the local shops. I did 600ks (370m) and it went great. (10mpg or 17L/100kms). Mind you I did have a headache from the exhaust drone and the constant ticking of the speedo cable which developed a glitch.

The Engineer was happy with everything so it's of to submit the paperwork to the Motor Registry

I even had some rain to check out the wipers and to my surprise they worked as they should.

IMG_2105.MOV

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

1 minute ago, MAC390 said:

Sounds nice in the wiper vid, you have done so well mate.

Full rego or historic.

Thanks Wally, Full rego although it doesn't say LHD on the current rego so I just submitt the paperwork.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, MAC390 said:

Nothing on mine also and they are lhd

I have just taken the engineers certification to the RTA to have it listed on my rego. Apparently it was never listed as LHD when I first registered it so they took the report and amended the records so all sweet.
The intersting part is when we were discussing requirements she said I could now take the placard off the back of the car that says 'Left Hand Drive'. When I said I didnt know it was a requirement she showed me on her screen that it was.
I remember years ago seeing these placards on old LHD cars but did not know it was stil a requirement. I certainly have never seen a mustang with one recently.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:35 AM, bigmal said:

The intersting part is when we were discussing requirements she said I could now take the placard off the back of the car that says 'Left Hand Drive'. When I said I didnt know it was a requirement she showed me on her screen that it was.
I remember years ago seeing these placards on old LHD cars but did not know it was stil a requirement. I certainly have never seen a mustang with one recently.

I just stumbled upon this on an RMS page:

Left-hand drive vehicles

Left-hand drive historic cars, trucks and buses that have a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) up to 4.5 tonnes are not required to display a 'left-hand drive' sign.

Where the GVM is greater than 4.5 tonnes, these vehicles require the words ‘left-hand drive’ to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle in letters at least 75 millimetres high, with a colour contrast background.

I can see this sign on the back of the Mach I......  good news that they have a historical vehicle exemption...

If not...I assume if you drive fast enough that no one will notice whether you have the 75mm (3 inches!)  high Left Hand Drive Placard....

left hand drive.png