bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

You may want to double check before you go cutting that dash there, the problem is the inner and outer curves are different, look at the curve above the air vent and look at the curve near the radio-see the difference?. When you swap the cluster and clock over they probably won't fit the curves.

11 hours ago, JET 445 said:

You may want to double check before you go cutting that dash there, the problem is the inner and outer curves are different, look at the curve above the air vent and look at the curve near the radio-see the difference?. When you swap the cluster and clock over they probably won't fit the curves.

Hi Jet, thanks for that. Where I will be cutting has the minimum curve. I really have no other option. From my measurements I think it will be fine.

9 hours ago, unilec said:

Hi Mal, you have probably seen this post, but just in case you missed it, here is a link. Top of page.

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,24077.msg303494.html#msg303494

Thanks for that. I have factory air so need to retain the vents. I wasn't aware that you could get the panel without the vent holes but even so, my budget doesn't extend to buying another dash as a donor.

With the XB master you need a new internal push rod as it is shorter(?) than the Mustang one.

I got Burt Brothers at Fairfield to set it all up, cost about 50 bucks with a new pushrod. I spent a lot of time chasing brake issues on mine so be prepared for hassles with rear lock ups and possibly having to put an adjustable valve on it.

Real good work for an office worker I'm one too with a MIG but no way I am cutting up my thing.

I don't think you understand what I mean, look down at the top of the dash, look at the radius of the curves where the cluster mounts on top of the lower dash, they are completely different, this is why most people including me cut the dash behind the 4 plastic caps and swap each side in one complete piece. This will mean your air-con vents are in the center of the car but you will be sure of the clusters fitting because they will be going back in their original openings.

11 hours ago, JET 445 said:

I don't think you understand what I mean, look down at the top of the dash, look at the radius of the curves where the cluster mounts on top of the lower dash, they are completely different, this is why most people including me cut the dash behind the 4 plastic caps and swap each side in one complete piece. This will mean your air-con vents are in the center of the car but you will be sure of the clusters fitting because they will be going back in their original openings.

Thanks for that. I was given this advice previously but want to avoid having th events in the centre. I'll have another look on the weekend and see which way I go.

11 hours ago, smh00n said:

With the XB master you need a new internal push rod as it is shorter(?) than the Mustang one.

I got Burt Brothers at Fairfield to set it all up, cost about 50 bucks with a new pushrod. I spent a lot of time chasing brake issues on mine so be prepared for hassles with rear lock ups and possibly having to put an adjustable valve on it.

Real good work for an office worker I'm one too with a MIG but no way I am cutting up my thing.

I know what you mean with the pushrod. I have modified it so it is the correct length. I'll be on the lookout for rear lock ups. Thanks.

End of day 27. Have swapped the dash centres over. Lots of rework to get the curves right. While the intrument panel and clock panel are different curves and will need a little modifying I think it will work. Had to do a bit of fiddling with the wiper and light switch holes but seem OK.

An intersting thing I discovered. I thought the panel was coated in a vinyl textured finish. Turns out the patern is in the metal and has conventional paint over it.

I still have a days work on the dash area for final fitting and refinishing but I think it will work out OK.

I appreciate the advice about cutting the panel under the end caps but really want to keep the aircond vents in their original positions if possible.  

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Loving every minute. Almost to the end of the welding/grinding. The painting and assembly will be the cream on the cake. I have taken the last 2 weeks of July as leave and the goal is to have it driveable by the 31st. Will not be completely finished but driveable is the goal.

I will blow my 30 day goal but if it is done in 40 I will be very pleased.

End of day 28. Had an issue with the instrument clustercircuit board. I damaged the circuit on a corner. The wire was corroded and broke when I touched it. I managed to solder a wire to bipass the bad bit and coated it in areldite. Doesn't look pretty but will work until I can get a replacement circuit board from CJ.

Have bolted in the aircond, steering, pedals and instrument panel to make sure they all fit properly before I begin painting.

Took me hours of modifying the two panels for them to fit correctly but I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

The RHD firewall I used came with mounts for the steering and pedal box. Unfortunately it has moved the steering column a couple of inches to the left. Ergonimically it works quite well but it doesn't look great not being central to the instrument cluster. I am pondering whether or not to move it. A big job but if I am going to move it I have to do it now. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

It's very rewarding to see the panel in place.

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

1 minute ago, MAC390 said:

Going well mate.

Move the column over, you will be much happier when it's done.

Yeh, I agree. I was really wanting an overwhelming response that it is better where it is. Two steps..........

End of days 29 and 30: Well my goal was 30 days and I didn't quite get there but I have two weeks of holidays and if it is driveable at the end of this I will be very happy.  

I took the feedback and moved the column so it lines up with the centre of the instrument cluster. Didn't take too much work and really appreciated the advice.

I spent today preparing the underneath and engine bay for paint. Hopefully I will have the black on tomorrow. Wednesday is forecast windy so I need to make sure I get it done. I really hate painting with enamel so this is the last shitty job I have to do. I'll spend most of the day covering everything in the garage with drop cloths.

Can't wait to start assembly.

I'm about 3 hours from you Mal and we've been having beautiful weather to be working during the day. You should get a heap done in the next two weeks. Can't see why you wont get it moving under its own power again.

49 minutes ago, JET 445 said:

Make sure you refit the kick panel air vents before you fit the dash and parking brake, otherwise it becomes very difficult- ask me how I know.....

Great advice. Thanks and I will be sure to do that.

27 minutes ago, Ash said:

I'm about 3 hours from you Mal and we've been having beautiful weather to be working during the day. You should get a heap done in the next two weeks. Can't see why you wont get it moving under its own power again.

Great weather but the mornings are a bugger.

Middle of winter and today it is 26C. I just drove past two freshly killed snakes and one of them was a monster brown. Just we need, snakes out already. Where did winter go? It was 4C this morning though, pretty fresh then.