bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

Coming along nicely, good to see the firewall fits. I have been considering fitting a centre console handbrake when I do mine, seems a lot of work to make the 69 one operate correctly, maybe something from a Falcon, just a thought.

2 hours ago, unilec said:

Coming along nicely, good to see the firewall fits. I have been considering fitting a centre console handbrake when I do mine, seems a lot of work to make the 69 one operate correctly, maybe something from a Falcon, just a thought.

Moving the park brake to the right was one of the easier jobs. I had to go into the torque box today and weld in a guide for the cable. Glad I hadn't welded the top part of the box in yet.

End of days 14 and 15. Only one week of leave left. Definately won't be on the road by the end of next week but I'm very happy with the progress. Spent a bit of time modifying the RH torque box to include the park brake cable feed. Also had to cut holes in the seat frame rail for the park brake cable. Worth the extra time.

Started fiting the RRS rack. Very happy with the quality of this. All fits easily. Have modified the steering column to take the new internals and universals. Can't wait to see how it drives.

Have found some rust in the front window suround. I shouldn't have removed the bog. Another days work to fix it but it can't be ignored.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

7 hours ago, Ash said:

You may not reach the goal you had wished to in this time but I can tell you that you've achieved more than many of us have in years.

Boy, isn't that the truth?

5 hours ago, shaun071 said:

Hi Mal, with your parkbrake have you looked at an aussie P5 LTD or Landau? They use the same pedal set up. Another option may be an XA-XC handle. 

Cheers Shaun 

Hi Shaun, thanks for the tip but I have finished converting the existing one. Pretty happy with how it turned out although may have been quicker to go with one of your suggestions.

End of day 16, Some good progress and some setbacks I need to solve.

Fitted the pedal box and found the top section behind the firewall was too low so had to cut out a setion and box it in.

Sat the engine in and found the sump is sitting on the rack. Considering the best option for this. Will probably modify the sump to clear. Not sure at this stage how much internal clearence I have to play with as I need to gain about 1/2 to 1".

Tried fitting the brake booster and it's about an inch too long and hits the shock tower. Off the the parts shop in the morning to pick up a shorter unit.

Still getting a warm fuzzy feeling seeing the engine in, even though it will come out again.

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

End of day 17. Working on reversing the aircond/heater. Swapping the heater evaporator inside the box. Need to fill the old holes and swap the shafts around on all the flappers. Not too difficult but takes time.

Picked up a new master cylinder of an XB Falcon. Fits well.

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

End of days 18 and 19. Hit a big issue. The sump is hard against the steering rack. I pulled the engine out and attached the trany hoping the trany mount would lift the rear of the engine enough. Made no difference. Engine is back out again and the sump off. Looks like there is enough room to modify the sump to give me an extra 3/4". Hopefully this is enough. That's a job for tomorrow. A waste of 2 days.

End of day 20. My long service leave is over and back to work on Monday so the project is going to slow down.

Had a win today. Modified the sump and now have adequate clearence from the steering rack. Did a little on the aircond installation. Will take a fair bit of modification to the firwall and above. Hopefully not too difficult.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

End of Day 21. Got to spend Sunday on it. Firewall is back out so it looks like I'm going backwards.Have been working on fitting the aircond. A bit of rework needed as I am using the original bulky aircond/heater. The sad thing is all the work I spent on the wipers at the beginning is back to square one as I need to move the motor outboard due clearence needed for the aircond box. Not a big deal but will take a little fiddling.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Definately staying positive. Now it's winter it's hard to go to the garage after work. Too bloody cold. I'm limiting my work to weekends and intend on taking the last two weeks of July off and hope to have it finished. I miss driving it and can't wait to see how it is with the suspension/steering upgrades and new exhaust.

End of days 22 and 23. Got the wiper motor sorted. Now doing the final fitting of the aircond/heater box and mirroring the internals. Once this is sorted I can weld in the firewall.

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

End of days 24 and 25. (Although not real long days). Finished modifying th eHeater/Aircond box to fit on th eother side. Have given it a test run and it fits and runs. Have now finishd modifying the firewall and it's weled in place.

Now I'm starting to get excited.. I can see some progress.

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

End of Day 26. When I bought the firewall I also bought a replacement panel that goes between the firwall and shock tower that gives more clearence for the steering. I beleive it is for a 68 and the 69 is different. The anchor nuts for the 69 bonnet hinge are lower and there is a rebate for clearence at the top. No big deal but had to cut this part of the old panel in. About 4 hours all up.

Have now fitted the RH engine bay panels. Made the mounting points for the steering column which was amazingly simple. Able to use one of the existing dash anchor points to start from.

Now starting on swapping the dash panel over. After a lot of pondering I have marked where I need to cut and weld. I will need to refinish the panel that has a vinyl type finish. At this stage I am planning on using VHT Wrinkle finish but open to any other suggestions.

Once this is done it's all down hill.

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG