bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

End of day 6. Slow going getting the torque box out. Still having difficulty gettiing out whats left of the frame rail under the seat. Appears to be spot welded from inside the frame rail where it conects to the gearbox support. Any help would be appreciated on this. Thanks.

IMG_1112.JPG

Yes, that's what it is, Mal. There are two vertical folds on both sides, left and right, where the gearbox cross member is spot welded internally to the frame rail. Not easy at all.

I know the feeling, when you remove the firewall its like the point of no return. i made my own from sheet metal otherwise you can end up with a patch work quilt. I believe from what I have read that the 69/70 year is a lot easier that other years because the dash parts are removable. ;-)

12 hours ago, Ash said:

Yes, that's what it is, Mal. There are two vertical folds on both sides, left and right, where the gearbox cross member is spot welded internally to the frame rail. Not easy at all.

Thanks Ash, That's what I was thinking. Not easy to get to.

End of Day 7. Slow going. Have the frame rail in position but can't get the torque box in. It is a one piece box. Just separtaed it and can get it in but will need some trimming. Hopefully tomorrow it will be welded in properly.

IMG_1118.JPG

Something unexpected just happened. Absolutely wrecked and called it a day. Went upstairs and wifey had filled the spa bath with redox and handed me a schooner of bourbon. It doesn't get any better than this. Seriously if I wasn't already married to her I'd marry her.

End of Day 8. RH Torque box in. Thanks for the help Wally. Had to split the one piece box in two. Then no problem.

Found a bit of rust which slowed me down. Happy with the progress.

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

End of days 9 and 10. Some very slow going. Attacking the LH torque box and seat frame rail. As I am not replacing the Front chasis rail it has made removal of the torque box and frame rail quite difficult. In hind sight it would have been easier to reaplace the front chasis rail as well. Looking at the picture the bodgy bastards have used bog to cover the rust in the torque box. Thats those big lumps of pink shit at the bottom. Still haven't finshed removing the torque box and seat frame rail but getting close. Its seriously soul destroying working under the car for days on end grinding, cutting, drilling, and bashing. Looking forward to actually starting to do the right hand drive conversion. Although that may change once I get into it.

IMG_1137.JPG

Mal,

My lhs torque box was non existent, yours is mint compared to mine.

Just keep telling yourself how good it will be when the rust is gone.

Have you swapped over the foot brake cable channel to the other torque box.

1 hour ago, MAC390 said:

Mal,

My lhs torque box was non existent, yours is mint compared to mine.

Just keep telling yourself how good it will be when the rust is gone.

Have you swapped over the foot brake cable channel to the other torque box.

Hi Wally, thats whats keeping me going. Started at 4:30am yesterday. Figured while I was awake thinking about it might as well start.

I have left the inner part opf the RH torque box off at this stage so I can add the channel. Would be very difficult to thread the cable without it. Thanks.

Nice progress Mal. Your 69 looked pristine prior to teardown, just goes to show you that damn rust can be hiding anywhere. From which city did you buy your Mustang?

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Nice progress Mal. Your 69 looked pristine prior to teardown, just goes to show you that damn rust can be hiding anywhere. From which city did you buy your Mustang?

It came out of Tampa. Not the best pre-purchase inspection. Bought it in September 15 and it arrived in Aus February 16. Even though the rust wasn't identified I still would have bought it as the price was right and I enjoy what I'm doing. At the end I will have something exactly how I want it.

Thanks Wally. I must say I'm starting to see some progress so quite encouraged. Don't think I'll have it on the road by the end of next week though. But I will be happy if it's on its wheel again.

Mal, in all fairness you've done a bit more than change to right hand drive. I'd not count your rust repair in the time spent. You better check the rule book to confirm :)

56 minutes ago, RPM said:

Mal, in all fairness you've done a bit more than change to right hand drive. I'd not count your rust repair in the time spent. You better check the rule book to confirm :)

I'll go along with that.

End of days 12 and 13. Left torque box in. Old firewall out and a trial fit of the RHD firewall. Very surprised that it fitted strait in. I will need to graft in the section for the aircond. Not difficult but will take some time. I've been working on the park brake. A few mods needed to move to the right.

It would have been a lot easier if the yanks drove on the right side in the first place.

Feeling good about the progress at last.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

Certainly getting into it , firewall looks good ,is a rrs piece..

When my American friends come out here i make em drive, most of them crap themselves till they get used to driving on the other side.

2 minutes ago, MAC390 said:

Certainly getting into it , firewall looks good ,is a rrs piece..

Hi Wally, I bought the firewall from RRS but it is made by Dynacon. Is for a 67-68 but fitted very well. Seriously shocked.