bigmal

Converting my 69 Mach 1 to Right Hand Drive - Australia

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share my project with you. I am converting my 69 Mach 1 to RHD and some rust repairs. I have set myself a 30 day challenge officially starting this weekend. My goal is to have the main structure completed and engine in and running by 28 June as I have a month of long Service Leave. Although I did start a little early doing the wipers and taking out the windscreen on the weekend.

I have been told by someone it will be off the road for at least 2 years. I need to prove him wrong.........I hope I don't eat my words.

Following are some pics of the wipers. I am not sure this is how others tackled them but it works OK. Took a lot longer then I planned. Makes me nervous about the 30 day goal!

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

Cut that sucker up, Mal. Upset the purists. hehe

Hope you get the job done. It's amazing just how much you can achieve in a full day with no other distractions. You'll get so much done in a month. Plus, any chance to spark up the TIG is thoroughly enjoyable.

Out of curiosity, how were the inside of the A-pillars when you removed the glass? Was there much rust around the little knobs that support the stainless moulding?

13 hours ago, Ash said:

Cut that sucker up, Mal. Upset the purists. hehe

Hope you get the job done. It's amazing just how much you can achieve in a full day with no other distractions. You'll get so much done in a month. Plus, any chance to spark up the TIG is thoroughly enjoyable.

Out of curiosity, how were the inside of the A-pillars when you removed the glass? Was there much rust around the little knobs that support the stainless moulding?

Hi Ash,

I have had a MIG for 30 years and got my first TIG for Christmas (Santa was good to me). Got to admit my TIG welding on thin steel is not great. Had issues with warping. Getting the hang of it with thick steel. Tried a well on alluminium on the weekend. Looks like lava! seriously bad. My mate is a wiz with TIG so I'll need some pointers.

Taking the windsreen out I was shocked to find no rust at all. My rust is two small patches in the from lower section of both doors. The main rust is in the torque boxes, seat supports and chasis just forwad of the rear axle. The front RH chasis rail has been previously repaired but not very well, so replacing that. I'll tackle the rear end later in the year. I have all the replacement parts ready to go.

Working in an office I'm really looking forward to getting into this. Maybe that will change in a couple of weeks though.

While you're in the office, check out this site. It is brilliant. Jody is great at explaining, well just about everything, in an easy to understand way. There is so much info, it'll make your head spin.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Get yourself some acetone and a stainless wire brush and keep it just for cleaning the aluminium. Clean everything as much as you can before sparking the TIG. Impurities are your enemy with alloy. Even down to cutting wheel particles or paint off a saw blade. Nailing a sexy alloy weld sure is rewarding. My wife loves it when I bring some hot freshly welding metal inside to show her a nice weld.....not really. haha

Nice. My A-pillars were pretty average. Around my rear glass was worse. But I suspect mostly it was due to people screwing around with the moulding so much trying to stop window leaks.

2 hours ago, Ash said:

While you're in the office, check out this site. It is brilliant. Jody is great at explaining, well just about everything, in an easy to understand way. There is so much info, it'll make your head spin.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Get yourself some acetone and a stainless wire brush and keep it just for cleaning the aluminium. Clean everything as much as you can before sparking the TIG. Impurities are your enemy with alloy. Even down to cutting wheel particles or paint off a saw blade. Nailing a sexy alloy weld sure is rewarding. My wife loves it when I bring some hot freshly welding metal inside to show her a nice weld.....not really. haha

Nice. My A-pillars were pretty average. Around my rear glass was worse. But I suspect mostly it was due to people screwing around with the moulding so much trying to stop window leaks.

Thanks Ash,

I've added the link to my favourites and will have a look over the weekend. You had me going with the wife liking your welding unitl I finished the sentence. I bring my wife down to see my work and usually get a "what am I looking at". Seriously... what is wrong with them? Welding is like fine art.

Awesome, interested in the conversion, I have just finished a RHD conversion on my 65FB, so hopefully I will start my 69 next year. I use the Falcon xf variable power steering box and falcon saginaw pump. I will follow your progress with interested.

1 minute ago, unilec said:

Awesome, interested in the conversion, I have just finished a RHD conversion on my 65FB, so hopefully I will start my 69 next year. I use the Falcon xf variable power steering box and falcon saginaw pump. I will follow your progress with interested.

I have an RRS power steering rack using the original pump. I think this will be the easiest part. The rack looks very well made. Can't wait to see how it drives.

Just now, unilec said:

yeah, thats probably the best way, getting the steering geometry lined up correctly is the main issue. Where did you buy the rack from?

I bought it direct from RRS http://www.rrs-online.com.au/index.html . They also supply a RHD firewall. It is for a 65-68 model although they say its OK for the 69. I bought this early in the piece. Have heard mixed reviews on the firewall. When I fit it I'll see how it goes. As it is flat I will need to cut in part of the old firewall for the aircon. Hopefull not too difficult.

You'll definitely prove that guy wrong! A month is a little bit ambitious, but it can be done if you have the time. But that guy who said it will take you 2 years... yeah, that's definitely not true. I can't wait for new pictures of your progress! Good luck, mate!

End of day 1. Well under way.Behind the dash is pretty scary stuff. Pleased that there is no floor rust. Looks like its been replaced previously with an average job.

Tomorrow's goal is engine/transmission to be out and starting to remove to measure up whay I need to do.

I suspect a lot of pondering........and JD. Helps me think.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

9 minutes ago, MAC390 said:

Great progress, you will see any bad stuff now.

Remember to double check every thing..

Wally

Thanks Wally. Will certainly be double checking everything. I don't want to do it twice.

Day 2. On track so far. A few slow moments with rusted bolts. Took me over an hour to get the torque converter off. Some knob had stipped the nuts and I had to cut them off.

Old steering out tomorrow. I will test fit the RRS rack to check for clearance with existing exhaust mainfolds.

I have a lot of parts on the floor. Hope I remember where they all go.

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

End of day 3. A little more stripping. Slow goin with the suspension. Lots of rusted parts. Think I've found where some of the klunks were coming from.

Dry fitted the new steering rack. Will easilly clear the left exhaust. Not sure about the right at this stage.

Now concentrating on removing the chasis rails and torque boxes. Once in place, out with the firewall.

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

Digging right in, great work!

Love the old outboards. They look great.

Now that it is all pulled down, any more surprises? Is the lower cowl good?

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Digging right in, great work!

Love the old outboards. They look great.

Now that it is all pulled down, any more surprises? Is the lower cowl good?

I do love old outboards. Have a couple more in the shed.

No real surprises. The front towers closed in 1/2" when I took off the monte carlo bar. Shouldn't be too hard to sort when I change the RH front frame rail. Has previous accident damage and they brazed everything together. Will be a bugger to get off for some clean welds.

End of Day 5. Not a lot of visible progress today. Everything is brazed on and is a bugger to get off. I'll have the weekend off and get back to it on Monday. Still happy with the progress though.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG