Midlife

I Spied 69/70 Mustangs Out and About

I was at the local drug store picking up some prescriptions (yeah, Dude... those are some really good meds!) and a fairly old gentleman rolled up in a candy apple red 69 convertible that was in great condition (at least from 10 feet away).  As he got out, I said that is one nice 69 convertible, and he replied I normally don't acknowledge with a Thank You, as he spent a lot of time refurbishing it.  I thought that was a strange response from a car guy.  He's not into any of the local car clubs, including our Mustang club.  Anyway, I asked him what engine, and he said a 351.  Again, I said very nice as he walked into a grocery store next door.  One peculiar thing I noticed is that it had a front spoiler, which I don't believe came with the car originally.

No pictures, although I did have my smart phone on me.  Despite it's name, that phone doesn't make me any smarter because I always forget it has a built-in camera.  I really think they should call them Dumb-A** phones.

Anyway, I thought this might be a good thread for those on the forum to post pictures or incidents of 69/70's that they see out and about on the roads or parking lots.

I've recently seen a chestnut brown 70 on the road and I also saw a grabber yellow 70 Mach outside a tattoo parlor a few months back.

There's also a 69 I know of in a garage near my house, but that's not really out and about.

Mustangs in the wild are kinda like Bigfoot to me -- I hardly ever see them and when I do I never get a picture of them before they disappear..

Shortly after I got my vert on the road, I was cruising down a deserted two lane country road and what do I pass coming the other way? An Acapulco Blue '69 Mach 1.

Of course, you have to take my word for it, I can't prove it...

On the way home from work yesterday evening, I passed a red '69 fastback headed the other way. It had the blacked out hood and scoop like a Mach 1 but no side stripes. I'll be watching for this one to get a better look next time.

I've tracked down 13  1969 Mach 1 owners in my area. I didn't realize there were so many. 3 are 428 cars(including mine)....2 with 390's and the rest are 351's. We plan to get all the cars together and hit one of the larger cruise nights in my area. Will post pictures when it happens.

funny thing is that none of the owners knew any of the other owners! 3 live within 3 miles of me and I never knew.

Entered a car show today, parked next to a 70 Grabber Blue Boss 302, 4 cars down from a red 69 Mach CJ, and we three got beat by a 67 black coupe with lime green Shelby stripes.....and of course left my smart phone in my pocket. Had a great time, met lots of good folks and got one heck of a sunburn.

I was at the local hand car wash getting the crud kicked off my daily driver. While waiting I took a look at their photo board and spotted a nice 70. I haven't seen it in the wild yet, but now I know its out there so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Mine is the only one I see around here, and the metro area is 500k. Used to see a couple of 69 sportsroofs on regular basis, but haven't even seen those two for a few years now. Maybe when lalojamesliz gets his running I might start seeing one.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:33 PM, Raven R code said:

Outside of Rochester,NY. I can't wait to get a picture of all of them!

Dave

Dave,

Where outside of Rochester, NY?, my wife & I used to live just west of Rochester in the town of Gates.

First 69 sighting for me today.  I was driving along in my pick up and a Raven Black 69 Sports roof zoomed by me.  It was a nice look ride that is for sure.   I wanted to turn around an follow them for a bit, but I figured my disappearing wouldn't go over well on Mother's day!

Also on Friday I saw a 65/66 Convertible taking the kid to Hockey, and yesterday I saw a 1968 Convertible in the Costco parking lot.  Looks like they are coming out of winter slumber.  I know there is a Blue 69 Sport roof in the area and yellow 70 Coupe close by too.  I haven't seen any of them at a meetup or show though.

Just got back from Vacation in Iceland and I had a siting over there.  Though it was brief.  The first night we were at a pub and and a 66 coupe went by.  Painted bright red.  Apparently there was a car show for the Summer Solstice festival my wife didn't fill me in on.  We went to some hot springs instead.  But I also saw a early sixties Impala and some kind of mid-sixties Olds drive by as well.   Pretty cool to see some American muscle in a strange new land.

Got pics of these 2 beauts tonight at a show. 71 Boss 351 is a factory line green per Marti. Not pictured, guy had a 69 sportsroof with a 390, non Deluxe int with every option but the tilt wheel, Black Jade in color. 

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7048.JPG