Kaspar

Ratchet shifter regret

I'm having a hard time getting used to my B&M Hammer Ratchet shifter. I'm kinda feeling like I'm driving a big ol' truck with all that pulling and yanking. 

And there is quite a lot of rattling and looseness to it that I don't like. I like the idea and performance of the shifter, but only when going from 1-2-D. Everything else makes me miss my old stock shifter. Going from P-R-N really needs a lot of yanking. Now technically it's gonna be a drag converting back to the old shifter and I don't really wanna do that. I've been trying to read about most of the ratchet shifters on the market, but they all seem similar.

Which are the best ones? Or at least firmer and easier to use than B&M? Is the Hurst Quarter Stick better? I want one with a short throw and basically one that feels great without sloppy movement or safety pins that rattle.

Thanks.

In 1966 we ran a B&M 4 speed hydro with shifter behind a 288 ci chev in a 47 Fiat Topolino at first it was a pain to get it to shift till we had B&M look at the setup all they did was a couple adjustments if I remember right they needed to shim it with a couple washers alignment on it was critical to get the ratcheting feel positive. Also used one in the same car when we put a 392 hemi with a tourqeflight in it that one worked the first time out with no problems.

I just looked at B&M's site the internals look almost identical to what they had back then, sure it has changed since then.     

I'd give them a call it shouldn't be difficult to shift.

They are all crap to use imo and should only be in a car that is frequently raced, otherwise there is no benefit other than that they look "sporty", so basically you are really asking which ratchet shifter is the least crappy, and i try not to use parts that are crappy at all if i can avoid it . In fact, I just took a nearly new pos quick silver out of a car a month ago because it was a piece of crap, crap, crap and will probably just throw it in the trash so I don't get bad feedback from someone that might buy it from me on Ebay after they install it and find out what a big pile of crap it is.

It will also never feel as solid as a stock shifter because the piece of crap uses a cable instead of arms which makes it feel spongy to some degree because that is what ALL cables do and the difference can also be felt when shifting an old Mustang and an old Camaro because the old Camaros use a cable.

Turbo Action Cheetah is the only shifter to own. Most all the others are just adapted TH 350/400 ones. The quadrants on the

Cheetah are designed for Ford transmissions. You won't regret this shifter. Hope this helps, Steve