prayers1

Weld Through Primer question

I'm working on the Shock Tower reinforcements and wanted to know after I sand and prep the shock tower in the  immediate area within the engine compartment, could I just cover that area with Copper Weld Thru Primer, as well as cover the back side of the braces, then weld the braces to the shock tower.

Just don't have any experience with Weld Through Primer and don't know how far to go with it.

I'm not using the Copper Primer as the main primer on the vehicle, just want to use it near the area of the welds.

This is what I'm using, SEM Copper weld through primer 40783

I used the SEM weld thru primer on the convertible inner rockers. Maybe it was me but I didn't care for it. Striking the arc and keeping a nice bead or rosset weld made me feel like a beginner welder.

1 hour ago, SWPruett said:

We abandoned weld thru primer a few years ago as they all screw with proper arc initiation and weld pool contamination.

I like that idea.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

so you just go with bare metal?

Yes.  In the region of the weld in particular.  If the panel has EDP primer applied, we leave it along the flange and buzz the weld area clean with a Roloc disc to allow all welds to be on fresh, bare metal.  Then the panels are epoxy primed and seam sealed with paintable urethane seam sealer. 

I don't know anything really, just did a bunch of research on it and in the end elected to utilize a weld through primer. I think there are a couple of Utube vids on what happens when you don't use it and some of the posts on the hot rod forums prompted me to the go ahead. I chose U-Pol and my panels welded up just fine. All that copper color you see in my photo is the U-Pol. I hate rust and will always go above and beyond to fight it. 

P1030272.JPG  

We use U-Pol weld thru primer with any welding. If you weld 2 pieces of bare metal together all the Epoxy primer and seam sealer in the world won't keep it from rusting.  The trick is say for plug welding is to scratch off the area your going to weld and it welds perfect. 

So I used  SEM Copper and had a lot of platter, so I tacked everything up then took a wire brush to expose some metal, I was able to weld in the shock tower reinforcements but not happy how the welds came out and I believe it had a lot to do with the weld through prime.  I gonna apply some seam sealer.

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I have split panels welded together in 1935 with no rust between them ,you have a good sealed joint and no rust will get in

Yep.  Same here.  I've seen a fair number of '32s and '34s with pristine metal in lap joints on otherwise hammered bodies.