Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Wheel spacers

Thinking about putting some '14 Mustang wheels (235/50/18) on my '70 I've got 235 and 255/45/17 on it now but they are cracked from age. I know I need wheel spacers around 1-1/2 on the front to 2" on the back. Ive never used spacers so I'm curious about them. 

I'm running 275/35 18s on rear with no spacer.  I did have to trim excess metal on bump stop.  I'm running 245/40 18 on front and use a 1.5 Inch hub centric spacer in front.  But I'm also running 2007 gt brakes which adds 3/4 inch outward.  My backspacing it like 6.37 inches. I think factory you can go 4.5 iniches backspacing. No issues thus far but not a lot of miles on them. However fvike I'd prob right on the bearings.  I'm just not conned enough with bearings to worry about it.  Would really depend on the 2014 back spacing.  Does the 2014 have the same bolt pattern? For some reason I thought they changes it a few years before then.

I have 1.5" wheel adapters (with their own studs) with 05+ GT wheels. I run 235/45 and because I am running near 7 degrees of caster I had to slightly trim the wheelwell in front. If I was running less caster they would fit fine. With adapters like I am running, I always step-torque the lug nuts on both the spacers and the wheels when installing just to be safe they are absolutely centered. I have ran the car this way for years with no problems. If there is not play between the wheel adapters and wheels I fail to see how they would stress the wheel bearings anymore than if I was running equivalent wheels with the same amount of backspace. If you go 1.5" in back you will need longer wheel studs unless you have already changed them.

Typically I do not like wheel spacers. Basically wheel spacers end up putting more load on the outer smaller bearing verses the larger inner bearing. That's the problem with them

however in this case it's not as bad it you may think.

the late model wheels run more backspacing than the early cars. Adding wheel spacers for the late model wheels may not give you an overall lower backspacing that many aftermarket wheels for your application. Do some measuring.

the more you are using the car for cruising verses racing, you can get away with a little more. If you are going to run the piss out of the car, then not so much

bob

Just a discussion point in my view, Spacers are not the best idea. While some may be using them for just crusing around, Heavy track or spirited curves can cause wheel bearing failure. Just look at the stock mounting of a wheel. The center line of the mass is near the center line of the hub . Placing an adapter on it moves the center line of the wheel mass out from the hub center. Basic math shows there will be stress at some time in its use. JMHO.

What I meant by my comment was that if I had 17x8 TTII's with 4.5" backspacing, or my current setup, the tire and actual rim (not wheel spokes but actual rim) is in the the same place. Meaning force from the tire is sent through the bearings/hubs in the same way.

Those who mention wheel bearings are correct ONLY if the whole wheel (rim and tire) is moved outward and yes that would put more stress on the wheel bearing. By this logic switching to any wheel combination wider than factory adds stress to parts, even if its only wider on the inboard side (leverage works both ways).

Ideally I totally agree don't run them if you can avoid it, definitely. I do believe wheel adapters are usually better than wheel spacers too, for the fact that a proper wheel adapter self-centers while tightening and very few spacers are designed this way.

I have learned from the racetrack that a lot more cars than you think run wheel spacers (not adapters). Yea yea I know they're not street cars, but wheel spacers aren't exactly a guaranteed death sentence either. For you or your bearings.