lalojamesliz

Time to build 9 inch rear

Hey guys, 

I need to build the 9" rear I have on my mustang so it can handle the 550hp from the 408w I'm going to build soon. 

It'll have trick flow 11r 205 heads and a custom cam and I want to buy a TKO-600 to go with it. 

I'm leaning towards 31 spline "strange" SS axles with recommendations from guys over on vintage mustang but I'm stuck on the 3rd member now. 

I want to drive my mustang to work and rarely at the 1/4 mile strip with some sticky street tires and I don't want to worry about gernading my rear. 

I was looking at different places and had different options for a posi like Detroit locker, truetrac, trac-lok and others but I don't know what's best for me.

When I called "strange"  earlier asking about axles the guy just told me I need 35 spline axles and a $1700 3rd member...... yeah, no

So what do you guys recommend for the 3rd member?

I actually wanted to have two separate 3rd members. One for long distance trips and one for around town/drag strip. 

Can I have the current 3rd member built to handle the 408w power? I was thinking I can use this one for the trips with something like 3-3.25  ratio and the street strip with like 3.70+

I used Quick Performance in Iowa. They sold me a 9" Nodular center section with Daytona Pinion, and also supplied me with 31 spline axles.   I am using a 3.25 traction lock.   I have a built 393 stroker, and the 9" rear should handle that easily.    Go with one center section, run a 3.50 and you will be fine.  

Imho 31 splines should be enough with street tires. I don't know the hp limit of the traction lok, but you're probably well over it.

I'm in the process of building an N case, Daytona pinion support, traction lok, 28 splines and 3.50 gears for an everyday set up, and 28 spline open with 2.50 gears for long trips. If I happen to twist or break an axle before my tires spin, I've got 31 spline axles and traction lok for an upgrade.

yes, nodular or war case with daytona pinion.

as i mentioned on your other thread, put a locker in it if you are going to drag race it much.

the tko 600 is a truck style trans and shifts like crap if you try to shift it quickly . you really better get the carbon lined blockers and have the shift detent mod done if you buy one . liberty trans and a couple others can do that for you.

us gear and italian made motive gears are the best . timken bearings are the only bearings to use.

there are some very intelligent people on the vintage mustang site and there are some very unintelligent ones . be careful who you listen to over there . supershifter is one of the smartest people there.

the more traction you have the better your gears and axles need to be.

you also stated on your other thread that your engine would have 600 hp and that you might also add nitrous to it . now you say it only has 550 hp . if you get the cam from chris straub and you do everything he tells you, it will likely have within 10 hp of what he says it will on the type of dyno he says it will make it on which is one of the reasons i suggested you call him and have him do your cam.

you can also call currie enterprises

I forgot about this thread.....

On 5/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, RPM said:

Imho 31 splines should be enough with street tires. I don't know the hp limit of the traction lok, but you're probably well over it.

I'm in the process of building an N case, Daytona pinion support, traction lok, 28 splines and 3.50 gears for an everyday set up, and 28 spline open with 2.50 gears for long trips. If I happen to twist or break an axle before my tires spin, I've got 31 spline axles and traction lok for an upgrade.

N case huh..... sounds familiar lol

On 5/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, barnett468 said:

yes, nodular or war case with daytona pinion.

as i mentioned on your other thread, put a locker in it if you are going to drag race it much.

the tko 600 is a truck style trans and shifts like crap if you try to shift it quickly . you really better get the carbon lined blockers and have the shift detent mod done if you buy one . liberty trans and a couple others can do that for you.

us gear and italian made motive gears are the best . timken bearings are the only bearings to use.

there are some very intelligent people on the vintage mustang site and there are some very unintelligent ones . be careful who you listen to over there . supershifter is one of the smartest people there.

the more traction you have the better your gears and axles need to be.

you also stated on your other thread that your engine would have 600 hp and that you might also add nitrous to it . now you say it only has 550 hp . if you get the cam from chris straub and you do everything he tells you, it will likely have within 10 hp of what he says it will on the type of dyno he says it will make it on which is one of the reasons i suggested you call him and have him do your cam.

you can also call currie enterprises

When i said 550hp that what I was planing and then I hired Chris straub and he told me it'll clear 600hp so that's why I started saying 600. 

I don't plan to drag race much, but I do like driving fast. Once I get comfortable with the power and learn the limits of the current set up I will drive it fast like as in fast acceleration from light to light or fwy on ramps. I don't usually go more than than 10 over the limit on fwys. 

When im late to work..... That's a different story lol

I already bought a 4r70w because of financial reasons with the tko set up. I'll switch to manual later. I need to buy the controller for it with the carb linkage kit for the carb I choose. I was leaning towards a speed demon 850cfm with vac secondaries. 

I want a carb with vac secondaries because of the auto trans and street use. That's why I'm looking at the speed demon. Chris told me I don't need a choke on the carb and I believe him but I haven't seen one without a choke and with vac secondaries.

.78 are the ratios on the trans I bought with a 3000-3500 ptc converter and it's supposed to be upgraded as in 

6 clutch forward, 4 reverse, 4 intermediate, billet overdrive servo, all the oiling mods, J mod to valve body, and shift kit.

I bought it from the corral forum. Id like  to have it checked out by someone but I don't know who I can take it too yet.

I don't know what ratio for the rear I'll get yet but I'm leaning towards strange 3rd member with truetrac with 35 spline. Slicks are possible for me at a drag strip eventually

.  Since I'm going all out with my 408w, why cheap out on the drivetrain right barnett468 

14 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

i already posted info on the carb . who told you to use a speed demon?

A friend told me about them and I had bought one for the 302 I was going to build before the 408w but recently sold it. 

I only had that one in mind because I didn't see another carb that was a 850 and vac secondaries.  I keep seeing a vac secondaries carb is a must for street and auto.  

Please don't think I'm not listening to your advice because I am. 

You've been one of the greatest helps so far

7 minutes ago, lalojamesliz said:

A friend told me about them and I had bought one for the 302 I was going to build before the 408w but recently sold it. 

I only had that one in mind because I didn't see another carb that was a 850 and vac secondaries.  I keep seeing a vac secondaries carb is a must for street and auto.  

Please don't think I'm not listening to your advice because I am. 

You've been one of the greatest helps so far

It seems a bit odd to me that Chris Straub didn't suggest a specific carb he would prefer.

There is 23 vac secondary carbs in that cfm range in the link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetors/universal/yes?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=carburetor&sw=Carburetors&N=4294921892%2B4294951518%2B4294512689%2B4294921888%2B4294881228

A vac secondary carb is not a "must" for an auto trans.

You will need to adjust/tune the secondaries for optimum perf on a vac secondary carb.

4 minutes ago, lalojamesliz said:

I don't remember right now but did you tell me he recommendeds AED carbs and he sells them?

Well he only recommended  a 850 aed dp

don't know if he also sells them but yes i mentioned that he recommends them . i also seriously doubt that he would suggest a double pumper if it wouldn't work properly, and as i mentioned, they will when properly sized and tuned, however, a vac secondary can be a little more forgiving in some cases.

16 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

It seems a bit odd to me that Chris Straub didn't suggest a specific carb he would prefer.

There is 23 vac secondary carbs in that cfm range in the link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetors/universal/yes?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=carburetor&sw=Carburetors&N=4294921892%2B4294951518%2B4294512689%2B4294921888%2B4294881228

A vac secondary carb is not a "must" for an auto trans.

You will need to adjust/tune the secondaries for optimum perf on a vac secondary carb.

I though it was a must for the best driveability in the city

On 5/13/2017 at 1:39 PM, lalojamesliz said:

I forgot about this thread.....

I have no idea of which you speak :)

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

What was the joke inside of?

RPM said:

I'm in the process of building an N case, Daytona pinion support, traction lok

lalo said:

RPM said:

Jr high humor. I was acting like I didn't know of him or the N case 9 inch. Pretty deep stuff huh?

2 hours ago, RPM said:

RPM said:

I'm in the process of building an N case, Daytona pinion support, traction lok

lalo said:

RPM said:

Jr high humor. I was acting like I didn't know of him or the N case 9 inch. Pretty deep stuff huh?

I figured that out so my post was a joke as in, "Was the joke inside of a can or inside of your pocket, etc?", ahhhh, ha, ha.

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

I figured that out so my post was a joke as in, "Was the joke inside of a can or inside of your pocket, etc?", ahhhh, ha, ha.

Ah, I see it now. Boy, do I feel like a dolt!

On 5/21/2017 at 5:16 AM, Sean D said:

I went with the Strange rear end and axles when I swapped out my c6 with a AOD. True Trac with 3.70 gear 31spline.

20170430_092632.jpg

20170425_191042.jpg

Looking good!

Same thing I'm looking at but not sure if I need the 35 spline since I'm looking at getting 285 drag radials and possibly caltracs