v8ford70

Coolant Overflow Tank info required

I have lots of friends in oz and am also on the biggest mustang forum in oz and very few people i know run a coolant tank . they just use a 16 lb cap like i do and leave around 20 - 25 mm of air space between the rad cap sealing area and the coolant and they don't overflow and the higher pressure cap does not cause leaks in the system.

there is absolutely no downside to running an overflow, and if you have a customized engine compartment, a shiny aluminum or stainless steel one will add some bling but it won't help at all if your cooling system is adequate for your app.

you should also be using a 180 t stat and a high flow one like moroso has is best.

ignition timing can also affect engine temp as well as performance and mileage, so it is always best to set the timing curve so it is optimal for your particular engine.

Barnett468 I have seen your posts on the oz mustang site & you have a wealth of knowledge which everyone appreciates here.I'm not sure of the thermostat rating I have installed (I think it could be 192-195) I'll have to go back through my receipts,but I do know that the radiator cap I have is from NPD part No.8100-2B made in USA  Autolite Chrome ARC-67C  hope it is right .Regards Phil

Having the recovery tank is up to you and what you will be driving in.

I have an after market plastic tank installed on mine so it meets strip and some show requirements.

But it is unseen as it is mounted n the drivers wheel well behind the headlight bucket and not in the engine bay. But that is my choice.

8 hours ago, v8ford70 said:

Back to the overflow tank question would you be able to give me the size (length & diameter) of the billet cylinders you have installed they look good.I hope I have cleared up the confusion I caused.Cheers Phil

Mine is 15" long, 2" in diameter (38 cm x 5 cm). A good match for my stock small block radiator. No worries about the confusion. As stated, there is no downside to a recovery tank, only upside should you ever need it, whether in your driveway or at the track

9 minutes ago, 69RavenConv said:

Mine is 15" long, 2" in diameter (38 cm x 5 cm). A good match for my stock small block radiator. No worries about the confusion. As stated, there is no downside to a recovery tank, only upside should you ever need it, whether in your driveway or at the track

Raven,  I've seen those on amazon and ebay.  They usually have 2 hookups on the bottom.  Does yours?  How do you have the hoses run if there are multiple?  I have a plastic one now but like the look of the one you have.  The one I have just has the one hook up and vented cap.

MN69Grande, yes mine has the 2 hookups. I've attached a crude drawing of it. The overflow from the radiator connects to a short inlet. The fluid enters the cylinder through the small inlet and is sucked back out through the same. The long tube allows air to enter and exit the cylinder. If the fluid level gets too high, it's drained by the tall tube onto the ground. I can't see it ever getting that high.

overflow_schematic.JPG.03d44f0e079883752e69a2b989fd3e85.JPG