RCE1313

New Headlights Setup?

2 hours ago, RCE1313 said:

I was told about a company called Dapper Lighting from a friend who installed the 7" round on his 69 Camaro.  They are pretty pricey but look good.  Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights/products/575-chrome

No I don't, but it doesn't say its DOT approved so chances are that it has little or no testing of the beam pattern, and I didn't see any pictures. Most of these tiny companies can't afford to do it or just don't know how.

I know this is an old thread but I found some headlights in Europe that look like the Cibie but cheaper. H1 high and H4 high low in 5 3/4” and H4 in 7”.  Also found Narva 100w H1 and 90/100w H4. Will be buying them and taking pictures of the light pattern on a wall to post on the forum. Might be able to bring  some extras if there is interest.

8 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I know this is an old thread but I found some headlights in Europe that look like the Cibie but cheaper. H1 high and H4 high low in 5 3/4” and H4 in 7”.  Also found Narva 100w H1 and 90/100w H4. Will be buying them and taking pictures of the light pattern on a wall to post on the forum. Might be able to bring  some extras if there is interest.

I'm interested in the pattern just for curiosity sake, and if they have the approval of some organization similar to our Department Of Transportation. They are most likely halogen and have been produced by a company large enough to do proper testing- if they want large sales they have to do that. The problem with almost all of the LED headlights here is that they are made by small companies that target aftermarket sales and haven't been tested. The only one I found that was approved looked like a multifaceted bug eye that you wouldn't want.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, Midlife said:

Well, the wires won't burn up as the headlight circuit breaker will trip repeatedly using halogen bulbs.  It is best to use relays for the Halogens.  RCCI has a very slick set-up for plug-n-play headlight relays (http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all)

Hi Midlife, I would like to add the rcci relays on my Scott drake headlights but have totally run out of post on my starter relay positive post.  Does anyone have a  safe solution to common all these positive wires in a neat and safe way?  I envision a common (6-10 circuit) terminal block with a plastic cover to protect the wire from accidental shorting.  edit, maybe this would work well? https://www.bluesea.com/products/5028/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Cover 

Edited by Alan_Mac
changed from glass to blade fuses

That's exactly what I did Alan. Both have covers, one is just off. One of mine is keyed power, the other always hot. Ain't saying it's right, but nothings burned or blown up...yet.

806283577_Mach1wiringinnerfender.thumb.jpg.5b4590a61e2576375cdc9ec292b9f830.jpg

So is it accepted wisdom now that LED can be safe for road use?  I want to lower my amp usage, but in a safe and responsible manner.  From the Vintage Car LED patterns, it appears we are there (for a price).  How much is it the bulbs vs. the enclosures that create the correct pattern?  They have the Hella upgrade... what’s all that about?

4 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

So is it accepted wisdom now that LED can be safe for road use? 

Nope, all but one I've seen is not tested by DOT (and you wouldn't want the one that is). The 69s use an odd size and unless a production car goes into production with them no manufacturer can afford to get them approved. So what you get with these little companies is something that does not meet any standard. Many throw too much light up and in fog or rain conditions it reflects back and obscures the drivers vision. I will bite the bullet and go with halogen, and increase my alternator amps.

While this subject is brought back up again, here are pattern pictures of the 5 3/4" headlights and Narva bulbs I bought in Europe. H4 is 100/90W and H1 is 100W. First 2 pictures are of H4 headlight high and low beams, 3rd pic is H1 light pattern and 4th is the headlights themselves. 25" from the building with a walk in door in middle and 10 feet roll up doors on each side of the walk in door, so the light pattern is not on a flat surface but covers one of the 10 feet doors and the walk in door that are about 1 foot recessed. The headlights are not installed in a bucket; just propped them with a heavy magnet but paid attention to not move the H4 while switching between high and low. Used a spare old battery as a power source.

DSCF6378.JPG

DSCF6379.JPG

DSCF6380.JPG

DSCF6381.JPG

So what is the difference between LED and HID bulbs in the same housing?  What makes LEDs not work where HID do?  From what I can discern, it appears that LED gives off TOO MUCH light, and that, while the scattering isnt proportionally more, it is more than what will work?  I guess I don’t understand what the issue is.  I’d think the pattern is determined by the housing rather than the bulb.  Once the light is made, it’s light regardless of the source... or am I completely wrong?

10 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Holy cow, are 100w bulbs legal here? Those are really bright. The highest wattage I've seen for sale in the US are 60/55w 

Well, you know the saying, go big or go home. Don't know if they are legal in the US but they are available in Europe. The headlights fit to 69 buckets after trimming of the alignment tabs of the headlights. Will be fitting them to my 69 Grande using relays and heavier wires to power them.

56 minutes ago, Cantedvalve said:

So what is the difference between LED and HID bulbs in the same housing?  What makes LEDs not work where HID do?  From what I can discern, it appears that LED gives off TOO MUCH light, and that, while the scattering isnt proportionally more, it is more than what will work?  I guess I don’t understand what the issue is.  I’d think the pattern is determined by the housing rather than the bulb.  Once the light is made, it’s light regardless of the source... or am I completely wrong?

How I understand it is, the angles of the light emitted by the bulbs are different so they do not reflect the same from the reflector of the headlight and the pattern changes. The headlights located the bulb at a certain position inside and the reflection from the aft surface of the headlight helps with the pattern. Think of using a magnifying glass to burn a paper focusing sun light. LEDs emit towards front and not to back much, so there is no or less reflection of light from the reflector of the headlight. Regular bulb (halogen or HID) reflects almost all around versus LEDs 120 degree etc. This is what happens if you put LED bulb into a headlight. Does it make sense?