RCE1313

New Headlights Setup?

Has anyone had any luck swapping out their headlights for a LED type set up?  If you have, can you provide some advice on brand and if you liked them.  I'm considering to make a switch because the light output isn't the best with my current setup. 

If you really want to see better go to danielsternlighting.com. He has a lot of data that shows the photometry. Just throwing light out there doesn't help if it isn't focused properly, in fact it hurts because it gets reflected back and makes it harder to see. I don't think LEDs are there yet for our size light, but you can ask him, maybe things have changed in the last year.

The 69s have a small 5-3/4" headlight that poses problems. For the high beams use a good quality Cubie parabolic Hi beam $79, with Flosser/Narva Rangepower+50 bulbs $15.59.

For the low beams you have some options depending on how well you want to see and spend. Don't use H4s of any brand. In this size only 55% of the reflector is used to collect light for the low beam. Use Hella BiFocal Hi Low beams $139 with Flosser/Narva Rangepower+50 bulbs $15.59.

This takes some rewiring since now you will only have 4 filaments instead of 6. The outboard lights are always on and use the same filament and on Hi-beams the inners are turned on too. The kick switch is jumped from low to common to keep the outside lights on with high beams. The halogens use more amps so you'll need to put in two relays and heavier wire. Stern will explain all this.

I don't think I'd put Motorcycle headlights into a mustang.  They are built for a different application.  Who knows if they would over heat or fit correctly.  I've always thought the drag specialties were cool to but wouldn't put them in a car.  Not to mention price. I've been looking at this kit for a while but have other priories for Mustang Money at the time.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=986fd3f2-523a-4d51-92ad-405faca6bf6b

I also really like the look of these but the cost more the Mustang Project.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/redline-lumtronix-headlights-5-3-4-with-h4-led-bulbs-pair-1969/p/HLA97/

I just installed the Mustang project led head lights last night.  Wow they are much brighter then the old halogens.  They seem like a really nice product and they look almost stock.  The lens is glass with a metal backing.  The led lamp is warranted for life which is good because they aren't cheap.

david

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Moodster, do you have a 69 or 70?

MN69Grande, the first one looks interesting but the video uses a 7", not 5-3/4". The second one is an H4- remember what I said about H4s?

They are both H4 style bulb LED kits.  I think most of the integrated LEDs have been discontinued at this point.  I'm not sure why H4 style bulbs for low beams would only collect 55% (I looked on the site you linked and didn't see that).  I would think this would be completely up to bulb design and reflector design.  I don't believe a general rule applies.  I'd be interested to see a nice comparison chart of all the options to be honest.  Sealed Beam Vs Halogen Vs LED (probably have to be solution specific).

I guess the proof is really in the pudding so it will be interesting if anyone else posts their real work experiences with various kits.

Edit: I did find these for sealed LED I guess Camaro guys run the 7 inch version... IDK... I can't find much spec wise on them and that would be a cool grand to upgrade all four.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-31267?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-united-pacific&gclid=Cj0KEQjwldzHBRCfg_aImKrf7N4BEiQABJTPKDu_TlFFWg_BCNXGpOq-Szf9fTAqfL3baMhbLL0OCmwaAtdB8P8HAQ

Also there are Oracle Kits

http://www.cjponyparts.com/oracle-lighting-headlight-replacement-led-5-3-4-sealed-beam-pair-1969/p/HLA86/

4 hours ago, moodster said:

Well excellent, real world experience that something works. Could you do us a favor and take a picture of the light pattern on the garage door or something if its convenient? Thanks

Sure I'll take a pic tonight and post it.  I've only installed the one side and the other side has a new halogen bulb in it so it makes for a good comparison.  My old halogens worked fine but they were a little dim at night however I never installed a relay kit.  FYI, I ordered the led headlights from CJ Pony Parts and they had good reviews there as well.   

david

Looking at the headlights doesn't tell you anything... except oohhh shiney! What does the light pattern look like on the wall? If the light is going everywhere and not focused properly it just gets reflected back and fools your eye into thinking there is more light, but it actually impedes vision.

3 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Looking at the headlights doesn't tell you anything., expect oohhh shiney! What does the light pattern look like on the wall? If the light is going everywhere and not focused properly it just gets reflected back and fools your eye into thinking there is more light, but it actually impedes vision.

This is a good point. From my own experience with other cars, led and hid bulbs in headlights designed for halogens often don't work. The bulb isn't in the correct position in the headlight and just scatters light everywhere. The hid lights especially only seem to work in a purely parabolic lens like a driving light or spot light.  multi faceted lenses just scatter the light. I used h4 halogen inserts for the outer and h1 halogens for the inner. They were just eBay specials. Good beam pattern though. 

I can confirm that the new LED lights I installed work extremely well for me.  I'm not a lighting professional but the beam looks focused and is far brighter then the old halogens.  After some slight aim adjustments to the beam, driving with them at night is a pleasure.  The only negatives from a purely stock perspective is that the light is far whiter and the pigtail/controller coming off the back of the light must be tied up somewhere.  The lens is not noticeably different from stock - most won't be able to tell it is LED.

david

6 hours ago, moodster said:

I can confirm that the new LED lights I installed work extremely well for me.  I'm not a lighting professional but the beam looks focused and is far brighter then the old halogens.  After some slight aim adjustments to the beam, driving with them at night is a pleasure.  The only negatives from a purely stock perspective is that the light is far whiter and the pigtail/controller coming off the back of the light must be tied up somewhere.  The lens is not noticeably different from stock - most won't be able to tell it is LED.

david

So moodster, just to make sure that I understand correctly. The kit you refer to here is a direct replacement for the incandescent system in your "69? No added wiring or relays and they set right into the factory buckets? No problem blowing fuses? Sounds great to me. Thanks.   Dave R.

Correct, no new wiring, relays, fuses, etc.  However I never had any trouble with my old halogens, aside from them being dim.  I've read about others having the lights cut out, etc.  I drove home last night in the dark and was delighted with the new leds.  For me, the lights are focused well and I can see the road so much better.  I didn't have anybody in opposing lanes honk at me like the lights were in their eyes so I assume they aren't scattering into their field of view.  I did adjust the aim per the instructions that came with the lights before using them at night.  My factory settings were close but I made just a few tweaks to get them exact per my measurements.

david

27 minutes ago, moodster said:

Correct, no new wiring, relays, fuses, etc.  However I never had any trouble with my old halogens, aside from them being dim.  I've read about others having the lights cut out, etc.  I drove home last night in the dark and was delighted with the new leds.  For me, the lights are focused well and I can see the road so much better.  I didn't have anybody in opposing lanes honk at me like the lights were in their eyes so I assume they aren't scattering into their field of view.  I did adjust the aim per the instructions that came with the lights before using them at night.  My factory settings were close but I made just a few tweaks to get them exact per my measurements.

david

You know how the saying goes: There's no proof without pictures (of the light pattern) ;)

Glad to hear you're happy with the results.

That is great. I replaced the under hood harness during the restoration and used the Wagner halogen sealed beams from NAPA as I recall. No problems other than being spoiled by the modern lighting on our daily drivers. Some more light for my Mach 1 would be welcome but I have NO interest in mounting relays and the additional wiring associated with that. If there is anything that looks sloppy it is a bunch of add-on wiring. Mine is just a "weather permitting" kind of car but many shows and cruise-ins last until well after dark. Stock appearance is important to me. I will put this on my to-do list. Thanks again moodster.   Dave R.

I contacted Mustang Project via their website, and asked this about the 5.75" 69 lights:

I am interested in your MP-5-XP. I had a conversation with Daniel Stern Lighting about halogen H4s. He says the H4s of any brand in the 5.75" round size are not very efficient, because with H4 bulbs in H4 lamps only 55% of the total reflector and lens area is used to collect and direct light for the low beam, because of the low beam filament shield inside the H4 bulb. Your LED design has a substantial structure for the LED, which could cause them to be less efficient than Halogen. Do you have any tests showing the pattern of the 5.75” on low and high? I am also concerned about upward stray light that causes back-dazzle in bad weather.

Also, what is the current draw on low and high?

I received this reply:

Thanks for contacting us about our 5 3/4 inch head lights.

The video you refer to shows a 7 inch lamp and housing.

The maximum current draw for the 5 3/4 inch LED headlamp is 2.0 Amps at 12.1 volts for both high and low together. (Assuming this is one bulb, and each LED is 1 amp, then we would get 4.0 amps with all 4 on high?? I will clarify this with Mustang Project. OEM bulbs would give us 11.72 amps for all 4 on high and 7.82 amps for the outside lights on low).

We don't have a video showing the beam pattern with our fourth generation LED lamp installed.  However, we do have this video (below) showing the third generation lamp with the same reflector. The beam pattern is virtually identical the fourth gen. lamps are simply brighter and have a better heatsink design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCQ9dH6Zlyg

The LEDs compare very favorably to halogen and of course have a much longer life and substantial lower power consumption.  You don't need extra wiring or relays as you do for some of the halogen.  Most classic car's don't have adequate wiring to handle the increased currents of halogen lamps and eventually the headlamp switches or various connectors fail due to heating form the high halogen currents.   Of course with 100,000 hour lamp life LEDs will likely last the life of your car.  We don't have any measurements for the halogen lamps at hand at this time.

The aim of our LED products is to produce better light that looks classic. Thus we chose a reflector which has the surface qualities of a classic car's original glass housing. A different reflector might be more efficient but that would spoil the classic look we were aiming for in this product.

Let me know if you have questions.

Pete Jacobs

Customer Service

512-828-6417

sales@mustangproject.com

That's some good information... you certainly know more about lights then I do.  Their response didn't really address the beam pattern.  I'll see if I can't take a picture after I get my high beams in and start to adjust them.  One thing I failed to mention is that you can see the heat sink on the high beams if you open the hood and look down.... that might be a drawback for some looking for an invisible install.