Black Jade

CJ Pony Parts Gripe

Received 1969 hood scoop signal wiring harness (plug and wires that connect bulbs to scoop) to replace factory wiring harness that the insulating sleeves are almost gone. What they show in the catalog is not what I got. I have no idea what this harness fits, it is NOT a alloy metal products harness as advertised / stated over the phone when I ordered it, I specifically asked. It is most definitely a Monday. 

2 hours ago, Raven R code said:

Never had a problem with them for returns or exchanges. Give them a call.

X2. I screwed up & ordered the wrong part & called them & they took th part back no questions asked.

I think CJP is great. Easy to work with and easy to return and exchange anything. That said, I can't say the same for some of the Scott Drake stuff they sell a lot of. I've found that several items of theirs I've purchased have been pretty poor quality.

Drake is a mix. They are outsourcing some stuff to China, and a lot of that is spotty. Some of their stuff is great.

The only real problem I have had with CJ is backorders. You place a big old order with them and the box shows up with half your stuff. Really a pain when you have project time slotted.

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The only real problem I have had with CJ is backorders. You place a big old order with them and the box shows up with half your stuff. Really a pain when you have project time slotted.

Yep, lots of back orders. I order most of my stuff from them as I am not in a rush for anything at this point. And, I like the pricing and RPM points, which I have saved a ton on. Never had an issue with them either. If you are in a rush and don't want to wait, NPD.     

16 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

I order most of my stuff from CJ & I always check their web site to see if it is in stock first.

Last I really ordered from then was about 6 years ago and I did my full resto. The website indicated back then that everything was in stock, you didn't really know unless you called or waited to open the boxes and looked at the packing slip. If their website now has accurate real time inventory, that is a huge improvement.

During my resto, who to order from was a big conundrum. Both NPD and CJ are customers of mine, so I try and be fair. In essence, CJ was better at shipping costs, and if it was a commonly sourced part, they were priced cheaper. When you have a three page spreadsheet of needed parts, the savings are real. NPD was better at having things in stock, and nobody is more picky about having the best available in terms of parts quality than NPD. So, I tried to order the parts where there is only one manufacturer from CJ to save money, and the parts with multiple manufacturers from NPD, as they will only carry the better repros. In hindsight, that was an amazingly difficult thing to determine.

Now, since I am not doing a full resto, I am going to NPD so I don't have to fiddle with junk.

I order an oil cap for my 1972 302, and went by their recommendation, they kept sending me the incorrect caps that didn't fit.  After 4 oil caps they finally got the right one, but they charged me for every cap they sent to the UK plus shipping (shipping is more than the cap).  I now have loads of oil caps on my garage shelves and I've sold the 72 Mustang!