Raven R code

~ 1969 428CJ installation

Looking to hear how other people installed the motors. Motor and tranny at once? Motor only? Can it be done with exhaust manifolds on? I think the last time I did this, I dropped the short block in first then installed heads with exhaust manifolds bolted on.

motor goes in within a week or so.

thanks, Dave

I put my 390 in with the C6 and hooker super comps on all in one hit.

I jacked up the rear of the car as high as could get it and put jack stands under .

Used the middle hole on my engine lifter bolted onto the inlet manifold

I have no steering box and steering components bolted up and the power brake booster was off also.

With the engine raised bring the whole unit  into the engine bay getting the trans extension housing as close to the trans tunnel.

Lower down slowly and bring the engine in and lower as it comes in.You need to get the tail shaft housing into the tunnel and keep lowering the engine and feed it in.

With the super comps on it's very tight but as you bring the combo down keep feeding the trans back'

You will see the pipes clear the right side rear of the shock tower and keep lowering the unit down and push back so the engine mounts go into position.

Put the jack under the trans pan with a timber block on it to raise the rear of the trans and install the rear cross member then mounting bolts through the chassis  

Really it was not so bad, and  i had my eldest daughter 15 and my apprentice help me and it was done in under 2 hrs.

Just let the engine crane come down slowly and feed the unit in.

If you have standard manifolds it would be so mush easier.

Hope this helps contact me if you need more info.

P1000744_zpsj8q4rjxm.jpg

I put mine in the same as MAC390, except still had the master cylinder and brake booster attached.  Looking back, it would have been easier with them out, and this may have contributed to my brake booster/master cylinder leak.  Not good to have a brake booster filled with brake fluid.  Mine was 428, toploader, and Hooker Super Comp Headers.  Put it in all at once with a total of three people myself included.

this is what i have done numerous times with cj's.

install trans then jagk it all they way up under the bell housing until it stops then lower if 1/4".

have manifolds surfaced

tap holes in heads

use new bolts

put grease on bolt threads.

install drivers side manifold

drape a thick towel over the passenger shock tower.

wire tie the right manifold to the shock tower or ave someone hold it n place

lower the engine then engage it to the trans.

install the right manifold . you may have to lower the engine around 1 inch to do this.

lower the engine onto the mounts.

On 4/17/2017 at 0:20 AM, barnett468 said:

this is what i have done numerous times with cj's.

install trans then jagk it all they way up under the bell housing until it stops then lower if 1/4".

have manifolds surfaced

tap holes in heads

use new bolts

put grease on bolt threads.

install drivers side manifold

drape a thick towel over the passenger shock tower.

wire tie the right manifold to the shock tower or ave someone hold it n place

lower the engine then engage it to the trans.

install the right manifold . you may have to lower the engine around 1 inch to do this.

lower the engine onto the mounts.

So.....sounds like it can't be done with both manifolds on then?

27 minutes ago, Raven R code said:

So.....sounds like it can't be done with both manifolds on then?

probably can because i know they didn't use my method to do it but i don't know exactly how they would have done it.

heres a video that includes them installing a 289 engine and trans complete

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

probably can because i know they didn't use my method to do it but i don't know exactly how they would have done it.

The OP did not ask about installing a 289.

5 hours ago, barnett468 said:

So what are the chances I can install the whole thing like they did at the 2 minute mark? The went in fast....about 10 seconds!

great video btw! I like how nobody wears masks while painting and girls dancing by the wet paint!

1 hour ago, Raven R code said:

So what are the chances I can install the whole thing like they did at the 2 minute mark? The went in fast....about 10 seconds!

great video btw! I like how nobody wears masks while painting and girls dancing by the wet paint!

lol, yeah, it is obvious there was no OSHA or EPA requirements back then.

I'm quite confident it can go in with the exhaust and trans if you did it like the video and had the brake booster out, but unless you have a movable hoist on your garage ceiling and can get the car up a few feet off the ground I don't think it will happen . Even if you had a hoist that could lift it high enough it would just be unsafe.

glad you liked the video . i figured you would get a kick out of it . really rare footage in it . not too may videos of inside the factory.

I don't know about the exhaust.  But follow Barnett468's method.  Too risky otherwise.  Install the trans first.  Place a floor jack under the front of the trans to support it and raise it up or lower it as needed.  Oh yeah, leave the trans mount loose until the motor is in.  It may need to move to the front or back slightly for the motor mounts to line up.

Sorry that I'm keeping this going, lol. I took my motor out by myself in the fall and it took about 3 hrs. The problem I had was getting the exhaust manifolds to clear the shock towers. I had to tilt motor up on each side and removed the exhaust manifolds. With that being said....the tranny was still in. Maybe the input shaft caused a little grief? For installation I plan to have no less than a crew of 3 and lots of blankets! But now I'm wondering if the tranny should stay out until motor is in? Now I do have the option of putting car on the lift if the majority thinks that will def help with everything going in together (motor/trans). 

Still have about bout a week to figure this out and get ducks in a row. Thanks for the continued support!

I always install the motor and trans together. You need an engine hoist with a leveler, it helps to jack the back of the car way up, and it helps to have a lot of hands. With stock manifolds and oil pans, even FE engines can be installed this way. Be very careful about ding your radiator support, and with PB I have installed without the valve cover on.

3 hours ago, Raven R code said:

Sorry that I'm keeping this going, lol. I took my motor out by myself in the fall and it took about 3 hrs. The problem I had was getting the exhaust manifolds to clear the shock towers. I had to tilt motor up on each side and removed the exhaust manifolds. With that being said....the tranny was still in. Maybe the input shaft caused a little grief? For installation I plan to have no less than a crew of 3 and lots of blankets! But now I'm wondering if the tranny should stay out until motor is in? Now I do have the option of putting car on the lift if the majority thinks that will def help with everything going in together (motor/trans). 

Still have about bout a week to figure this out and get ducks in a row. Thanks for the continued support!

Believe me, by the time you figure out how to get it in with the trans and headers attached, you could easily have installed it the way that I do and saved a lot of stress . I also install it with the valve covers off, otherwise it's a pita to get to the exhaust bolts.

If you insist on installing it with the trans and don't have a lift, you can lift the rear of the car up more than the front to get a better angle as max power mentioned.

PS: I would also increase my health insurance and write out my will.

9 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

You have done this with a 428 Cobra Jet?

390 in a 69 Cougar Eliminator. Stock manifolds. Maybe the manifolds are different enough from the 390 to the 428 that it would be easier. It was 30 years ago.

I never do engines and trannies separate, ever.

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

390 in a 69 Cougar Eliminator. Stock manifolds. Maybe the manifolds are different enough from the 390 to the 428 that it would be easier. It was 30 years ago.

I never do engines and trannies separate, ever.

Ah, the cougar engine compartment is slightly different but the biggest problem is the cj ex manifolds . it is easy to do with 390 manifolds.

You have a lift, do you have a trans jack to use under it?

If yes then put the engine in without the trans and install it from the bottom.

Yes I have done it many times eng/trans complete, But the FE is a large piece to move around in a very tight space without doing a scrape here or there.

Engine only install has the simplest way as it is almost a straight drop down between the towers and back towards the firewall to get it on the mounts.

What the video does not show you is the 2 guys in the pit below the chassis. The is why it goes in so quickly as there is space below to work and there is a roller bar that raised the rear of the trans as it is lowered into the bay while the chassis is moving down the line. This bar holds till the trans mount is bolted in.

Add to the point of the engine hoist is DEAD center of the line and hooks provide movement but keep it level side to side.

While t may seem like more labor this way, it IMHO keeps from damaging the bay or engine when installing and much safer then jury rigging if its not really needed.

As per my earlier post, 390 with super comps on and C6 all in together , no marks on the new paint and all bolted up in under 2 hours.

Three people needed. I took it out by myself.

The super comps had just been ceramic coated and no marks on them.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:38 PM, MAC390 said:

I put my 390 in with the C6 and hooker super comps on all in one hit.

I jacked up the rear of the car as high as could get it and put jack stands under .

Used the middle hole on my engine lifter bolted onto the inlet manifold

I have no steering box and steering components bolted up and the power brake booster was off also.

With the engine raised bring the whole unit  into the engine bay getting the trans extension housing as close to the trans tunnel.

Lower down slowly and bring the engine in and lower as it comes in.You need to get the tail shaft housing into the tunnel and keep lowering the engine and feed it in.

With the super comps on it's very tight but as you bring the combo down keep feeding the trans back'

You will see the pipes clear the right side rear of the shock tower and keep lowering the unit down and push back so the engine mounts go into position.

Put the jack under the trans pan with a timber block on it to raise the rear of the trans and install the rear cross member then mounting bolts through the chassis  

Really it was not so bad, and  i had my eldest daughter 15 and my apprentice help me and it was done in under 2 hrs.

Just let the engine crane come down slowly and feed the unit in.

If you have standard manifolds it would be so mush easier.

Hope this helps contact me if you need more info.

P1000744_zpsj8q4rjxm.jpg

This is starting to look like the better option. Next question.....besides what you already mentioned, what other brake or steering components should or should not be installed prior? Should steering column be installed first?

thanks, Dave