michael2938

Buck tag doesn't match other vins

From the pic's the OP supplied I would too be wondering about it being a re-vin car.

The number and location are not looking correct even if they were new or drinking on the line.

I would use a mic to measure the thickness of the inner fender where those numbers are and compare it to other spots along the inner fender for thickness.

My guess it has been ground down and re-stamped at sometime in the past. Quick hint is look at the Star on the left, the depth is correct but the numbers are not.

So....what I notice in the last pic of the vin (in the apron)......you notice the circular pattern of dots? Those are from the factory where parts were clamped (grip marks) to hold them in position for spot welding. So it would appear that would be an original fender apron. It could be that the die for the 3 was accidental in its position. Now the rivets are not rosette style which is what they should be. Some plants/years used black rivets and some were plain from what I understand. I would check the build date for both cars....and check the stamping on the individual pieces of sheet metal within the car. The stamped dates on the car should be within 2-3 months of your build date. You should see something like 0403 3W , which translates into April 3rd, 3rd shift , with "W" indicating the plant of manufacture. So with the date I mentioned, the build date for your car would be late May-June. 

I hope this makes sense.

Dave

as for were the vin is stamped, I think it's like everything else. depends on were it was built. my 69 GT that was built in Dearborn has it stamped on the right & left sides at the shock tower. my coupe built in Metuchen has it stamped on both sides on the top of the front inner apron panel

Not exactly true ,my friends 65 had numbers stagard on the vin about half a number and it had never been taken apart before we did it.my C J has the first star lower on both stampings .i think the tool probably had a dial that turned to get the proper numbers for each car and if it wasnt locked the numbers turned some times when stamped

1 hour ago, TurboStangGT said:

as for were the vin is stamped, I think it's like everything else. depends on were it was built. my 69 GT that was built in Dearborn has it stamped on the right & left sides at the shock tower. my coupe built in Metuchen has it stamped on both sides on the top of the front inner apron panel

Every 69 i have ever seen had the numbers on the tower tops ,my 70 coupe is on the tower tops and it is a Dearborn,but that doesnt mean the worker didnt stamp them where he wanted to.I have had a couple of 66 San Jose cars with every apron double stamped

2 hours ago, MAC390 said:

My S code has the vin stamped on top of the left front inner apron panel. Metuchen built.

My Metuchen built 69 Coupe was stamped in the same spot.