michael2938

Buck tag doesn't match other vins

A friend of mine bought a 67 fast back ,the door tag said 390, acapulco blue . How ever when i started removing paint  the cowl was acapulco blue under the candy apple red with factory blue over spray in the engine compartment and fender aprons  .The back half of the car was candy apple red under the candy apple red  .When i started taking it apart and the carpet was removed i found where it had been spliced together at the floor to the fire wall ,and right in the middle of the front windshield posts and at the rockers  .It had been wrecked and a whole back clip was welded to different front clip.The pieces lined up very well and there was no way to tell this when he bought it  .The rear half did have the floor reinforcement for the duel exhaust so they must have also used a 390 rear clip .To say the least he was pissed ,i asked him what he was angry for ,he got a two for one deal 

What would bother me about the last digit up side down is it must have been hand stamped ,the tool that stamped the numbers held all the numbers tight ,so if one number was upside down on one side the other side should be also .Has that apron been replaced ?

Here is a pic of the rivets on the VIN tag on my 11/68 Metuchen built 69 Coupe to compare. Also isn't the VIN stamping supposed to have the star at the beginning & the end of the VIN on the inner fender panels, mine does.

54565-100-1149.jpg

my guess without seeing the numbers more clearly is that the buck tag is orig to the car and someone put that vin tag on the car the buck tag belongs to then restamped the vin in the fenders.

the star looks out of line with the numbers and the spacing of the numbers looks like it may be inconsistent/not equal.

you can also try to look at the vin from the bottom, but it must be bare metal.

2 hours ago, michael2938 said:

I agree about last digit upside down.  Strange that both sides are not the same way.  Makes me wonder if the previous stamped vin could have been ground down and then these stamped on top.  But it sure doesn't look like it.  And the apron doesn't look like it was ever replaced.  All original spot welds are in place.  

Here is another view of the dash vin.

7759A21B-DC0B-4B0A-AF45-21C50AF6A5D5_zps

Yeah those look like the wrong rivets ,they are to flat and should have more of a dome shape ,but that doesnt mean a lot .I removed my tag so i could sand blast and now i have to pop rivet it back .i just have to find the correct rivets .

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

??? When I view the thread I can see the pic I posted.

Yea not showing  up,  but I think the rivets of original poster are regular pop rivets and not ones Ford used.

I'd vote for vin tag changed and aprons restamped.  I might be wrong but I thought the drivers side vin was stamped on the apron and not the shock tower