390mach1

Exhaust Systems

What Exhaust system is everyone running? Did you buy a kit or have a system built?

I have FPA headers and would like to run 3" to the mufflers to a 2.5" over the rear and out stock style Mach 1 tail pipes?

If you got pictures that would be great!

I went the custom route and have been really pleased.  They spent a bunch of time test fitting several mufflers so I could hear the different sounds.  I did cost more than a kit but now I have a fully flanged system I can pull off in 1/2 hour if I want to get at anything under the car.  Also it looks really nice.  If you don't mind spending the money find a good shop in your area and go custom.

Like Barnett468 said, what engine do you have?  If you have a car with staggered rear shocks like my 428 CJ Mach 1, there is only one performance kit option for staggered shocks that I know of.  If you have a mild 302 and don't have plans to add more power, you might not need a 21/2 inch pipe.  21/4 might work better.

9 hours ago, Machspeed said:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/magnaflow-dual-exhaust-with-x-pipe-kit-2-5-stainless-steel-v8-1967-1970/p/CBG3/?year=1969&gclid=CPzu6_O9kNMCFUKUaQod3IoJ4Q

I wished I could say I've installed it but I have not. Have heard it on others cars and liked the sound. 

I have the kit and fitment was good, the shop had no issues when it first got installed. I have 392w stroker with long tube headers btw...

It's quiet during idle, but you can hear the cam. it's comfortable in the cabin, no drone during cruising or acceleration and loud when you step on the gas. 

this is the one of the only HQ videos I have, I'll take another HQ video when I get the chance if you still want to hear it from far away. 

You can get the exhaust up fairly tight but your mufflers have to hang down from the floor some or else you'll melt your carpet.  My mufflers are the lowest point on the car outside of the rear axle.

david

6 hours ago, 390mach1 said:

RCWSTANG do you got any pictures under your car?

I may have some pictures when they were mounting the exhaust setup, I will look that up when I get home.

Also, I'll take pictures of the underside for you when it stops raining here. 

17 hours ago, 390mach1 said:

I have a 393W stroker, no staggered rear suspension. I'm looking for something with nice sound and also I would like to have the pipes tucked up nice to the floor so it doesn't hang down.

the term "nice sound" doesn't mean anything . if you want it loud and obnoxious and want it to drone inside the cab, get flowmaster single chamber exhaust.

magnaflows are straight thru and make more power but are quieter inside the cab.

you must put a cross over pipe on it to ruduce drone.

2 1/2" is minimum for optimal power and 3" is too large unless you have over round 550 hp, plus as was mentioned, 3" won't be easy to fit . 2 5/8" is a god size but some shops don't have it. 

390, look at the MagnaFlow 3 inch kit. The only thing you'll have to do is make your own tips, if you want to replicate the M1 original outlets. There is no reason to choke it down to 2 & 1/2 after the mufflers. Stay at three. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that 3 inch is 'too big' , it isn't. After the header collector, there is  no such thing as too big. The only reason I didn't buy from them is MF will only sell the full kit, even though I only need the tailpipes.  If they were willing to sell me 3 inch tailpipes alone, I'd buy them in a hot second.   LSG

2 hours ago, LSG said:

390, look at the MagnaFlow 3 inch kit. The only thing you'll have to do is make your own tips, if you want to replicate the M1 original outlets. There is no reason to choke it down to 2 & 1/2 after the mufflers. Stay at three. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that 3 inch is 'too big' , it isn't. After the header collector, there is  no such thing as too big.

This is wrong.

390,  our friend Mr Barnett is only right on two things. 1, 'sounds good' is very subjective. I might not like what you like, and you might not like what I do. and 2, its complicated. Thats as far as it goes. Unfortunately, there are a great many people like our friend  who don't understand the difference between primary and secondary exhaust tubing.  Primary exhaust pipes are very much size critical, diameter and length both matter. Once you get past the collectors, however, open atmosphere is best. Most of us don't want to listen to open headers all day everyday, so we install a system.  In that system, the SECONDARY pipes can't be too big. There just isn't any such thing. However, if you search the 'net, you can find lots of stories and opinions about people going faster after switching from 2 &1/2 or 3 down to 2 &1/4th or 2. What these folks fail to realize is that if their car was jetted and timed properly, they would be faster and make more power with the larger secondaries. Maybe they don't know how to read plugs or change jets. So, why do some folks, even exhaust manufacturers, recommend the smaller stuff ? That part is simple, it is easier and cheaper to make. When an exhaust shop tells you that a smaller secondary makes more power 'down low', what he is really saying is that does not  have a 3 inch mandrel to bend the larger pipes with, and doesn't have the needed skill to hang a 3 inch system.  And our friend is wrong about it being tough to fit. It fits fine, it is tight,but you CAN do it, Just get the Magnaflow stuff and put it on. I would recommend reversing the bolts on you rear spring shackles, it give you more room for the 3 inch pipe, AND for your fingers as you are working. If you look around this site, you should find a thread from one of our men who made his own twin outlet tips to fit his 3 inch exhaust. Looked just like stock, only bigger. You might also check Buckeye Demon's build thread. He has a 351W based engine with a custom 3 inch system. Looks nice. And I haven't heard him complain that it was 'too big'. Also keep in mind that the secondary pipe diameter affects tone. A bigger pipe is not 'louder' as some folks presume, but DOES  have a lower tone, which many folks find easier and more tolerable on the ears.    LSG

1 hour ago, LSG said:

390,  our friend Mr Barnett is only right on two things. 1, 'sounds good' is very subjective. I might not like what you like, and you might not like what I do. and 2, its complicated. Thats as far as it goes. Unfortunately, there are a great many people like our friend  who don't understand the difference between primary and secondary exhaust tubing.  Primary exhaust pipes are very much size critical, diameter and length both matter. Once you get past the collectors, however, open atmosphere is best. Most of us don't want to listen to open headers all day everyday, so we install a system.  In that system, the SECONDARY pipes can't be too big. There just isn't any such thing. However, if you search the 'net, you can find lots of stories and opinions about people going faster after switching from 2 &1/2 or 3 down to 2 &1/4th or 2. What these folks fail to realize is that if their car was jetted and timed properly, they would be faster and make more power with the larger secondaries. Maybe they don't know how to read plugs or change jets. So, why do some folks, even exhaust manufacturers, recommend the smaller stuff ? That part is simple, it is easier and cheaper to make. When an exhaust shop tells you that a smaller secondary makes more power 'down low', what he is really saying is that does not  have a 3 inch mandrel to bend the larger pipes with, and doesn't have the needed skill to hang a 3 inch system.  And our friend is wrong about it being tough to fit. It fits fine, it is tight,but you CAN do it, Just get the Magnaflow stuff and put it on. I would recommend reversing the bolts on you rear spring shackles, it give you more room for the 3 inch pipe, AND for your fingers as you are working. If you look around this site, you should find a thread from one of our men who made his own twin outlet tips to fit his 3 inch exhaust. Looked just like stock, only bigger. You might also check Buckeye Demon's build thread. He has a 351W based engine with a custom 3 inch system. Looks nice. And I haven't heard him complain that it was 'too big'. Also keep in mind that the secondary pipe diameter affects tone. A bigger pipe is not 'louder' as some folks presume, but DOES  have a lower tone, which many folks find easier and more tolerable on the ears.    LSG

You are 110% clueless as to what I know and do not know and it is obvious by your post that you have no idea what you are talking about . Also, your abrasive comments and attempts to discredit what other people post will not likely go over here as well as they do on the vintage mustang forum where you came from . Two other obnoxious people from that forum came over here and tried the same thing you are trying, and for some odd reason they are no longer posting here . Gee I wonder what happened to them.

There are several people here that came over from the vintage mustang site and I know for a fact that a few of them came here because they were tired of the constant attacks and belittling of some members by a handful of others.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, rwcstang said:

I may have some pictures when they were mounting the exhaust setup, I will look that up when I get home.

Also, I'll take pictures of the underside for you when it stops raining here. 

rwc, we have the same kit and I would very much like to see how it is hung from your chassis. I had a custom exhaust system built for my car a number of years ago and it was hung off a couple of points on my floor pan that caused it to crack. Looking forward to your photos.

Thanks!

Hey guys, we've got a pretty friendly forum going here, let's keep it that way. Members ask for advice based on your experiences, not orders on what to do. There's more than one way to skin a cat. As Rodney once said, can we all get along?

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Hey guys, we've got a pretty friendly forum going here, let's keep it that way. Members ask for advice based on your experiences, not orders on what to do. There's more than one way to skin a cat. As Rodney once said, can we all get along?

You mean like this, lol?