Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Leaf spring shackle bushings.

Now that I have one side of the leaf springs removed & will get the other side out this weekend, I need to remove the shackle bushings that go through the frame rail so I could install the new ones. Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the old ones since they feel like they do not want to come out.

Give each bushing a good shot of WD-40 between the rubber and the eye in the leaf spring.  Let it sit for a little while and then give it a tap with a rubber-headed hammer or a wooden mallet.  Should pop right out.

Stu

I did mine last year. I used a big screw driver to lever them out. I wrecked both shackles in the process. I replaced them with the Scott drake stainless steel ones. Depending on what bushes you replace them with, I'd uses rubber grease for rubber bushes or the supplied grease for urethane.

Now that I have one side of the leaf springs removed & will get the other side out this weekend, I need to remove the shackle bushings that go through the frame rail so I could install the new ones. Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the old ones since they feel like they do not want to come out.

They have become part of the frame frozen in time. Pry them out is the your only choice I think at this time.

Now when you go to put them back in do this first. Take a drill motor and make a flapper wheel with sandpaper to clean out the leftover rubber and rust.

Once clean put a little grease on your finger and wipe down the entire hole, This will make install easy and no squeak from the shackle.

I used a couple different size pry bars, some WD-40 & the old shackle bushings in the frame rail came right out. Thanks again to those who offered suggestions on how to remove them.