Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

front drum brakes to disc

It looks like there are several good options to chose, for going from manual front drum brakes to disc.

I'm not too interested in power brakes so I don't need to worry about a booster.

that said, are any kits superior than others?  I can't really differentiate what makes one better than another:

-chockostang is $700

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakepowersteering/discbrakeconversions.html

-SSBC is $1100

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093667-1967-1969-ford-mustang-front-non-power-disc-brake-conversion-kit-a121.html

-MustangSteve has parts

-Scott Drake (via CJ pony parts) has a kit as well ($700)

why would SSBC's kit be $400 more than chockostang?

I have an SSBC kit which I bought a long time ago... its a great kit.  I didn't have to modify anything and they are the most powerful brakes I've ever had on a car.  That said, at the time I didn't know about Chockostang so if I were doing it again I'd probably try to save some money.

david 

I'd go with Dan at Chockostang because he's a nice guy and his reputation.

thanks, and I agree as well.  I was about to pull the trigger with Chockostang just over a year ago when other priorities stepped in the way!   I figured I'd check again here!

How easy is it to get replacement rotors and pads for Chockostang? I looked at a lot of kits. One of the reason I went with the mustang Steve brackets was it used 2007 or so gt calipers and rotors. I could walk into any parts store and get parts easily.

Good question about the rotors and pads... u can get the pads but I'm not certain they would have the rotors in stock.  One disadvantage to the kits we're discussing is that the bearings are pressed into the rotor.  So changing a rotor is not a simple operation.  Wilwood makes some nice kits where the rotor bolts to the hub so that you avoid this problem.

david

Mine is the same way.  I had the drum press off the hub.  You retain the hub and it goes right back on the way it came off.  The rotor slides onto the studs and has a centering ring that MustangSteve provides.  The center bore of the rotor is a little bigger then the spindle since the rotor is off a new car.  I have I think about 500 bucks in my conversion.  I bought take off calipers for 110 with pads off ebay.  They looked new.  Then the rotors was from rockauto or some place.  Then you need to by the caliper brackets and brake lines, those came new from amazon.

I was looking at wilwood too:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-13476&year=1969&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle

this particular kit has the hub in the rotor (similar to OEM).  It doesn't include a new master cylinder though, so it's not quite as "complete" as the Chockostang kit.

Conversely, I could get a wilwood kit with a hub:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-11072&year=1969&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Drum+Brake+Front+Spindle

(still need to add a master cylinder).

Is is really that much of an issue, having the hub in the rotor?

Not to hack this thread but looking along same lines as to replacing front drums with disk. I have a set of 1969 Grande single piston calipers, rotors, spindles, but have been sitting for years. So my question is do buy replacement calipers, rotors and change spindle or put 4 piston  KH brakes like Chockostang sells. Also there will be less metal brake line replacement going with Chockostangs setup. Which is a better system the single piston or the 4 piston? I know the Boss 302 track cars used 4 piston Thunderbird calipers. Currently have 17" American Racing Ar500's but also have full set of 14 x 7 Maguum 500's that I switch back for certain shows.

Which is a better system the single piston or the 4 piston? 

Better for what? Even the stock oem single piston disc swap is an improvement over drums. Four piston calipers have more piston clamping area which is why racers use them. That and they look really cool. The single piston Cobra PBR caliper is also a huge improvement, but needs 17" wheels to clear the 13" rotors. I think it all depends on which wheels you're willing/wanting to use, how much you're willing to spend and how cool you want them to look. Nothing cooler to me than the 12" rotor 4 piston 67 T-Bird KH calipers. 

Personally I'd just sell the front discs/spindles you have and buy the KH setup at $700.  I think it will actually cost you less in both money and time if you go with all new and not have to change your spindle.  Of course if you're going to rebuild the suspension and steering while you're in there then you might save some money just rebuilding what you have.  All this assumes that you want a disc brake system that will fit inside your 14" rims.

david