Bob & Sue

Shelby style 2 Gauge Cluster fits in ashtray

I need to mount my after market oil pressure & water temp gauges in a different location I can't hardly see them where there mounted.

I was getting ready to order a Shelby style 2 Gauge Cluster that fits in the ashtray on the console. Did some research found out there's a big difference in the repros. I have factory air so there's not much room California Mustang sells an OEM style has anyone installed one? Where did you buy it and how did it fit any problems?

I bought mine from NPD, didn't fit due to top of pod hitting face plate. thought about moving my entire console towards the rear an inch, but then console insert wouldn't fit correctly on the auto shift bezel. A few minutes with the dremel tool on gauge pod and BAM.

Can post pic's tonight

Sam Ting here. The pod fit so so in the ash tray slot due to different radius at the corners. Non a/c car here, the pod cleared and the top of the gauges by a C hair. For $35 or whatever it was I'm not too impressed.

post-5441-0-58536100-1489157798.jpg

post-5441-0-16497100-1489158117.jpg

It's a glitch in the system Bob when they changed the format a couple of years ago. Just point them out and the Moderators will remove them. Usually when we see attachments not related to your post we'll delete them without asking.

I've used several of those.  Purchased from two different locations.  They all seem to be the same.  Every time I ended up installing them in the manner as RPM's photo's indicate.  I've had to redrill the mounting holes to drop the gauge pod down below the console's top surfase.  Then also trim the back side of the gauge pod so it doesn't contact the radio/heater control bezel.  The bad thing is after installed, the radio/heater control bezel cannot be removed first without removing the upper half of the console.

There is no such thing as an OEM style gauge pod.  Shelby integrated the gauge pods into the upper half of the console.  If you look at pictures, it's very clear that the gauge pods on Shelby's were located farther back, closer to the shifter, and at different angles than these pods that fit into the ashtray locate the gauges.

Like I mentioned, I've used several of them, I won't anymore.

This topic has been discussed a number of times but oddly a ' search '  of  gauge pod only brings up this page.  Anyway this is the one in my 69 4 speed console.  Heater lever works, the 4 speed shifter works, the console sits where it is supposed to.  Very tight fit with no room left for any sliding forward or back.  Brian  

post-33155-0-40199200-1489172353.jpg

Thanks for all the replies just looked at California Mustangs catalog it does say gives you the appearance of a Shelby pod. I'm going to order one the place where the gauges are mounted is useless. Does anyone know of a better way to mount a couple gauges in a 69 with air there's not many places to locate them. 

I did do a search of this site figured it had been discussed before but came up with no results. That's one of my peeves about about forums especially boats they put something like "where can I buy this" in the title a good description makes it easy to find already discussed topics.

Rant OVER.

Thanks for all the replies just looked at California Mustangs catalog it does say gives you the appearance of a Shelby pod. I'm going to order one the place where the gauges are mounted is useless. Does anyone know of a better way to mount a couple gauges in a 69 with air there's not many places to locate them. 

I did do a search of this site figured it had been discussed before but came up with no results. That's one of my peeves about about forums especially boats they put something like "where can I buy this" in the title a good description makes it easy to find already discussed topics.

Rant OVER.

Mustang interiors are very stylish, much better than much of the competition in 1969. Unfortunately, that stylishness eliminated a lot of traditional gauge mounting points. Thsi ashtray is about the only good spot, especially on a car with air. The steering column tachs are even worse on these cars.

The old school way was to put in the middle of the center of the dash pad on a non AC car. This should be where the AC vent would have gone.

I have seen a number of them done that way.

I have seen a couple people that did not want to cut a dash pad order an AC dash for a nonAC car and make an adapter to hold the guages

One thing I think would look cool if you can do some fabrication. If you have a good dash pad that the speaker area is shot. Make a pod that will go on the dash there to hold a couple of guages. Some carful covering with the correct vynal and you could have a cool guagenpod and not have to replace your old dash

Bob

I've been looking at maybe getting an old glove door and have a piece of 1" starboard CNC machined to hold at least 2 angled gauges similar to the ashtray pod with it fitting in the door on a radius-ed flange to screw into the door it would only have about 1/2" exposed. The glove box is a useless size anyway. Just need to find out when I can get some machine time to do it.

For now I ordered an ashtray pod along with all new weatherstripping & belt lines yesterday that should keep me busy for awhile.