390mach1

Subframe Connectors

Does the drivetrain need to be in to install these?

That's a good question. I've not installed mine yet but will be doing so very soon. My car is on skates, no drivetrain. I've read all kinds of comments on this in regards to this very question. Some say yes, some no. Most say merely that the car needs to be loaded (all four wheels on the ground) and level. That is the route I will be going...loaded, level, no drivetrain.   

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/639656-subframe-connectors-question.html

Does the drivetrain need to be in to install these?

When any passenger or race car is built is the drivetrain installed and parts welded on around it? I installed mine with only the front and rear suspensions installed.  As long as your platform is level I believe you'll be fine.

A teacher once asked me, Bob do you know you usually answer a question with a question? I answered, do I?

Global West makes subframe connectors that fit pretty well and don't hang down.  I purchased a set almost 20 years ago.  Test fit okay.  But I could never bring myself to welding them to the car.  They're still sitting on a shelf.

Yeah I've seen the video but it doesn't show the car on the ground. Since the existing subframe is about even with the bottom of the rocker panel, it seems to me that the Tinman connectors would be visible at the rear, just in front of the rear spring bracket where they weld on, and should stick down by the height of the connector- some 3 to 4". Is that correct?

Tinman's hang down only slightly more than the front frame rails. The reason it looks a little weird at the back is because of the rear floor pan where the rear frame rail is above the rear floor pan. Rear of Tinman's gets welded to the rear floor frame rails but the transition is not that smooth. When the car is all together tho with mufflers and all it is not that noticeable. As for as viewing it from the rear of the car it is difficult to see.

Dave. 

When the car is all together tho with mufflers and all it is not that noticeable. As for as viewing it from the rear of the car it is difficult to see.

Dave. 

Thanks Dave, I reread the Tinman website and found that the connectors are only 2" square tube, then I took the extra car out of the garage so I could get a good look from the side. Even though it is 3" closer to the pinchweld in the rear than the front, it should only stick down about as much as the muffler. It will be visible but like you said, not very noticeable.

Has anyone tried Spin Tech connectors?

First time I heard of Spin Tech, looks interesting.

I'm in the market for a set of sub-frame connectors. I wonder if they can be welded in with the interior in place, anybody?

They require stitch welding to the floor pan, so you need the carpet and padding removed or you could start a fire. They follow the contour of the floor pan and are 13 gauge (.090") thick- might be pretty good

There is a thread on VMF about the spin tech connectors among others as well.  I did not know about these either when I did mine or I might have used them. I like the fact that they are welded to the floor pan.  

Dave

Here is one option If you are looking for something that doesn't also weld to the floor pan. These weld to the front and rear frames.

http://www.globalwest.net/mustang-subframe-connectors-non-convertible-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-1973-global-west-suspensio.html

Summit Racing also carries them and priced a little less than buying direct.

NOT MY THUMBNAIL

I'm not convinced that units like the Global West and Tinman are anything more than a long torsion bar. I'm sure they add some rigidity but I'm not sure if its really noticeable. How could it even be proven? Just connecting the rear subframe to the front subframe with a long flexible bar may not do very much.

What exactly are they supposed to do? Do they stiffen the chassis when cornering and make it more predictable, and maybe help prevent the chassis from flexing when reving the engine? Given the structure, nothing would prevent all flex.

Maybe one of our mechanical engineers could weigh in on this and straighten us out?? Maybe you have some first hand knowledge that it really does something that is tangible.

I'm not convinced that units like the Global West and Tinman are anything more than a long torsion bar. I'm sure they add some rigidity but I'm not sure if its really noticeable. How could it even be proven? Just connecting the rear subframe to the front subframe with a long flexible bar may not do very much.

What exactly are they supposed to do? Do they stiffen the chassis when cornering and make it more predictable, and maybe help prevent the chassis from flexing when reving the engine? Given the structure, nothing would prevent all flex.

Maybe one of our mechanical engineers could weigh in on this and straighten us out?? Maybe you have some first hand knowledge that it really does something that is tangible.

The Tinman's is a very rigid piece, don't think it would every flex the weak links would still be the front and rear frame rails. The spin tech looks to be lighter material but giving the fact it is welded to the floor pans it continues same design ford had in mind and may be a better upgrade. This seems to be what Buckeye Demon had in mind when he fabricated his own.

Dave    

I can't speak for the others, but the Tinman unit is by no means flexible. You're car will flex before that subframe connector does. Very rigid component. I would not run a high horse motor with good traction without these.  

Sure, they're all going to act like a torsion bar.  And I'd also suspect like a beam.  Thus, they will all twist some and bend some.  Some less than others depending on design.  But, they are rigid enough to stiffen the chassis significantly.